Billecart-Salmon Rose, 2009 Corino Vigneto Arborina Barolo, 2008 Pio Cesare Barolo

Dinner out with good friends included these fine wines:

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT ROSE- consistent with numerous other bottles in the last year or so, this was another enjoyable bottle; red raspberry, strawberry and red cherry flavors abound; it so tasty and has enough pizzaz to please the most discerning of palates; in the last couple of years, the house seems to have stepped up the fruit profile to a more expressive, fuller and richer style and there is more red cherry as opposed to the milder raspberry and strawberry notes; in response to my questioning of the house about this, they responded “we use more and more wines done with Grand Cru grapes, and probably also due to the global warming bringing more richness in the wines”. As to the difference in the fruit profile, they replied “the cellar master and I both think that it is still pretty much on ripe strawberries and raspberries, but it also depends very much at what temperature you drink it, Ideally, around 9/10 °C.” I typically drink champagnes in the 8-12 range {45-53 F}.

4711AA7A-5281-4762-AE2E-51098879E17F_1_201_a.jpeg
2009 GIOVANNI CORINO VIGNETO ARBORINA BAROLO- this was the 5th bottle of this precocious Barolo that has been drinking beautifully early on; it was decanted 5 hours ahead of serving; in the nose there is some nicely integrated oak influence that is apparent all the way to the back end; additionally, it has lovely black cherry, cranberry and red cherry fruit accented by mocha, talc and sandalwood; it was super soft and smooth which was noted repeatedly by all and most likely due it’s mild tannic structure which may have been its hallmark as it held a steady, consistent course throughout the entire evening.

641F947C-D4EE-4F95-8C52-ABFA14D6CECA_1_201_a.jpeg
2008 PIO CESARE BAROLO- this was really good with nice spicy blueberry and red cherry in the nose and on the palate where violets, licorice and red plum notes join in while being delivered in a super smooth medium and finishing with everything coming together for a grand finale that hangs around for extended pleasure; it seemed to expand in the glass and each taste was better than the one before it.

8DB90E23-106B-4247-94DE-DA207C43980C_1_201_a.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake