TN: 2005 Betz Family Cabernet Sauvignon Père de Famille

• 2005 Betz Family Cabernet Sauvignon Père de Famille - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2/2/2021)
    When I first poured this into the decanter I knew right away that this would not need a lot of air and that good things were soon in store. Correct on both accounts. The dark hue of this cab was a tad leading misleading as it was really more of a mid-weight wine, and IMHO fully mature. Cedar and cassis dominate early, but as things unfolded, I got what I find to be a unique trait of the PdF, a light touch of Mediterranean herbs and just a little black olive. To be clear, this never veered into mimicking a syrah or grenache, its a cab through and through, and I found it very appealing. Anyway, this is mature and ready to go, lovely bottle. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Back when he made them all in .75-ton T-Bins. I believe.

Good note. Always liked the mid-2000s Betz Cabs.

Nice note, Dale. A 2006 I had recently showed similarly and I loved it. Thanks for posting.

+1 on older Betz cabs. Really good for a weekday drinker. But to my taste, I don’t enjoy Betz Syrah as much.

Nice. 2006 is the oldest of these I have, and I only have one left. I think I’ll give it a while longer.