TN:2016 Antinori Tignanello IGT

• 2016 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (1/31/2021)
    Based on all the positive reviews I found myself tempted to open a bottle of this. This needs more time. Check back in again in another 5+ years.
  • 2016 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (2/1/2021)
    Tasting note DAY TWO: The wine is smooth, easy to drink, and about as complex as your average $30 Super Tuscan. In many ways it reminds me of my early experiences with the 2004 Tig. Patience is required with this for the “wow” factor.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

As complex as a $ 30 Super Tuscan…That wine is $ 150 a bottle…

My uncle popped a 1997 this weekend. He probably paid $32-36 after discount…He definitely was a bit more enthusiastic about the wine.

Opened a 1997 a month or so ago. Very, very nice. I bought mine in Italy for less than $30. Dollar was strong then.

97 was great. Was $30-40 when we visited Italy and we drank it whenever we could.

Coincidently, I’ve been buying Tig since 2004; I still have a bottle or two left. We had a bottle of the 2016 in the Fall of 2019 at Patsy’s in NYC. I was struck with how massive it was. Definitely enjoy Tignanello more with age.

I think I paid $90 for it. Still, after the same experience with the 2004, 2010, & now the 2016. I don’t think I’ll be opening another one of these until they’re at least 15 years old. They just need the time to show their complexity.

If patience means one day, I’m OK with that.

I hadn’t planned on opening any until 2027ish although I have been tempted, but this just helped make my decision easier!

I had the 2013 last Fall with a couple hours of decanting, it was open for business.

I opened a bottle of the 2016 shortly after taking delivery of the bottle in late 2019 (I think). Opened the 2015 a few months before. My recollection was that the 2016 was lower octane, and slightly lighter on the palate, but there was a more intense core of fruit lurking in the background, and a longer finish. I liked the 2016 better but don’t plan to open another bottle of either until 2025. (FWIW, I had a similar reaction when I compared Felsina’s 2015 and 2016 Fontalloro.)