Scottsdale- Phoenix Wine store recommendations

Any good wine stores in the area ? Thx.

I was told the Costco in Scottsdale gets the best selection of high end wines in the country via the wine rep at the Costco next to their HQs in Issaquah Washington. So Costco there might be solid.

1 Like

Make sure it is the CostCo in North Scottsdale. In Phoenix proper, try Tarbellā€™s at 36th and Camelback. They have 2 restaurants there plus a wine shop. You can take a wine from the shop into the restaurant for little/minimal corkage. Good food,too.

1 Like

We spent the holidays in Scottsdale. If you are dining out, Gertrudeā€™s at the Desert Botanical Garden is worth a stop. Theyā€™ve got a decently interesting wine and beer menu and the food is solid. The surrounding garden is spectacular and a highlight of our trip. We ate on Gertrudeā€™s outside patio with plenty of spacing between tables so seemed Covid safe. Cool birds like Cactus Wrens and Roadrunners frequent the patio during dining hours.

1 Like

Rumors about Costco North Scottsdale are true - not uncommon to see Petrus and Screaming Eagle (cab and SB), along with $50k bottles of scotch

In addition to Tarbellā€™s (great suggestion), I would also check out Atlas Wine in south Scottsdale (f/k/a AZ Wine). Also, Trevorā€™s in the same area just opened in the last month or so.

Atlas Wine in Scottsdale, which Todd took over from AZ Wine Company. My friend Jock works there. They have done a great job of bringing in good wine.

Yep, I completely agree on North Scottsdale Costco, as well as Tarbellā€™s ā€˜The Wine Storeā€™. Its easily the best shop in town with a great selection across the board and decent prices. If youā€™re up for eating at a restaurant, Iā€™d highly recommend The Tavern right next store (all part of Tarbellsā€™). Really great food, plus you can snag a bottle from The Wine Store and open there with no corkage (this is unique in AZ as sadly VERY few restaurants offer corkage).

This last one is a bit out of the way but if youā€™re up in far North Scottsdale, Brix Wine Store in Carefree is excellent! Killer selection of high-end wine that i havenā€™t seen anywhere else (including The Wine Store).

1 Like

Side noteā€¦Iā€™ll have to check out Atlas (formerly AZ Wine) again. It used to be the best shop in town but it unfortunately became a shell of itself over the past few years. Lots of empty space on the racks and just nothing of interest. Food at Atlas (restaurant) is great though, and one of the other rare spots that allows corkage.

My wife and I spent our baby moon in Scottsdale in 2019 before the birth of our first, fell in love with the area. We are from northern NJ and have been telling ourselves ever since visiting that it would be a great place for us to settle down later in life, after the kid(s) are gone. Curious if anyone on this thread has transplanted to Arizona from the East Coast and what there experience has been. Can send a PM too, so I donā€™t hijack this thread.

Phoenix Wines in Scottsdale is awesome. I live in CA, but I make sure to swing by every time Iā€™m in the valley to stock up and bring home. The selection is fairly limited, but the prices are unreal. I havenā€™t figured out how theyā€™re able to offer wine at the prices they do, and I donā€™t want to ask. The lady that runs it is very nice and helpful too.

1 Like

Keep the suggestions coming! Going to Scottsdale in April for a golf trip with my father and brother. Definitely will check out the Costco as weā€™re gonna have an Airbnb anyway.

Donā€™t forget about AJā€™s grocery stores. Depending in location you can find some pretty good wines.

I didnā€™t realize so many members here are from AZ. Maybe we need a tasting/dinner at Atlas.

Good info, thanks to all. I have my eye on the other thread as well for restaurant recommendations especially with covid closures, but open to hearing those as well. thx.

Visited Prescott a couple years back and was really annoyed that there were no wine storesā€¦only liquor stores and costco had any semi-decent bottles. Liquor laws apparently are much more restrictive in AZ. Good luck mate

AJs is always a solid choice. Thereā€™s always something for everyone.

Love Prescottā€¦but you would definitley have significantly fewer options to purchase wine there vs. here in Phx/Scottsdale [cheers.gif]

J- I will send you a PM.

AZ is missing a killer wine store unfortunately. The better options have been named. You can find very good options at Total Wines throughout the valley.

We recently at Reserve (outdoor heated Patio only handful of tables) which is a sister restaurant to Cafe Monarch and they have an extensive and well curated (albeit expensive) wine list. Plenty of others around town as well.

1 Like

Re: Prescott. There actually are two reasonably good shops plus the usual suspects (CostCo, TJā€™sā€¦Samā€™s closed). Things right now are pretty well shut down with the pandemic; Az has one of the worst infection rates.

The two shops are Park Plaza (downtown) and Lloydā€™s on the west side. Park Plaza normally has a tasting bar and offers good sandwiches, mac/cheese, etc. They also have a great beer selection. I have found some high end wines there, like SQN and Mondavi Reserves and various magnums.

Lloydā€™s is a small shop with a drive through. It is cramped even in non-pandemic times. The owner is Mickey, not Lloyd. Heā€™s on top of the Az wine scene and works with distributors to bring in some good stuff. I have purchased Failla, Kosta Brown, Andrew Murray, Paul Lato, and Liquid Farm in his shop. He also has a nice Champagne selection. If you donā€™t find something you like, ask him if he has anything in ā€œthe back room.ā€ He usually has some gems tucked away.

1 Like

Yes! Phoenix Wine of Scottsdale was our local wine shop for the last 15 years we lived in Scottsdale. We moved in 2018; this store and Chula Seafood are pretty much all we miss.

Any updates to this list? Stying in Fountain Hills next weekend and will stock up on wine to sip and catch the views.