TN: 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre 'ESPECIAL' Rodnick Farm

• 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre ‘ESPECIAL’ Rodnick Farm - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (1/31/2021)
    Night 2 TN. The first night was tight and was just OK despite a bit of a decant in there. Overnight, it leveled up. Hazy garnet in the glass with a nose and front of raspberry, cherry, and watermelon rind. Its pretty, bright, and worth the price of admission for that. Just prime. Moderate acidity and light tannin underneath. The back. ripe fruit fading out slowly for a plush lingering finish. Elegant. It has more going on, hard to state and not going to try.I like it and with one left I wish I had more. This is enjoyable now and near term, just let it sit overnight to open. I struggle with what would improve for longer term aging, not much and its not worth the gamble. I don’t see the fruit becoming some nuanced thing that is so different or better. Its delightful now.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Adding a note here because I don’t see one on the 2020 vintage, which is an entirely different wine. This one is designated “Enlightenment Mountain” (Mendocino County) and primarily Petite Sirah, with Zinfandel, Barbera if I’m not mistaken. It is also designated “Old Friends.” : )

Here’s Hardy’s notes from 2 years ago: (Drink now - 2023) Light plus bodied - High acidity. Decant 45 minutes. Happy Happy Joy Joy!! A crunchy grin inducing nose and a mouthwatering snappy palate. Juicy and fresh. Decant 45 min (and when the heat is on, A-OK with a with a slight chill post decant). Perfect for sausages with roast veggies on the grill. (Stays joyful for 3 days open)

Sure enough, I managed to save some through 3 nights and it did indeed get better and better. Cherry galore, plenty of depth but super juicy, some still grippy but light tannin tartness on the finish. Happy to have had some, sad to see my last bottle go.

3 Likes