TN: Argyros 12 Year Old Vinsanto

Berserkers,

Somehow last year I missed a thread started by Sarah Kirschbaum last year on sweet wines and the preposterous notion of owning sweet wines but never actually opening them up for drinking! :astonished: You can find it over at Sweet/Dessert Wines - I Own them, but Never Open them - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers . The thread inspired me to open a sweet wine and share a note with everyone:

ARGYROS 12 YEAR OLD VINSANTO

SUMMARY: Liquid sweet raisins with a touch of complexity from long barrel aging. Better than a standard PX Sherry but falls short of a VOS or VORS PX Sherry and its own 20 year old sibling.

This is the second oldest Vinsanto made by Argyros. It’s created by letting Assyrtiko grapes dry out in the sun before vinifying. Black coffee color in the glass. Huge nose of raisins and molasses. Sweet flavors of raisin with lush grape flavors and a decent amount of acidity. Some notes of coffee, chocolate and toasted graham. Body is surprisingly light given this is essentially a vinified raisin juice. This is very good and would beat the pants of a standard PX Sherry from Spain which is made in an identical fashion. This said, it can’t hold a candle to old VOS or VORS PX Sherry. Moreover, its got an older sibling in the Argyros 20 Year Old Vinsanto that is far superior to this. Still, it’s pretty good stuff. And yes, I am drinking it out of Glencairn like a liqueur. It’s actually more suited to it than a wine glass is.

1 Like