TN: 2011 Domaine Follin-Arbelet Aloxe Corton 1er Cru Les Vercots

Short and sweet: Decanted for 1hr. Paired with chateaubriand. In the glass/decanter: light bricking, clear, little to no sediment. On the nose: a surprising amount of tertiary and cellar funk for 9yrs in bottle. First taste: cranberry dominant. Second sip revealed cellar wall funk and red fruits. Overall this was a delicious example of a (surprisingly) aged burgundy, which has held up its acidity and fruit nicely, with tannins taking a backseat to the secondary characteristics. Well integrated and balanced. The entire table enjoyed it and commented before the bottle was revealed. I don’t know how much further this one can benefit from cellar time.

Nice note Matt. Welcome to the board.

I really like Follin-Arbelet, and also that they are a relative bargain.

I’m not surprised anymore by 2011’s showing advanced for their age. Many of them seem to be.

Did someone try the Romanée-St-Vivant 2011 ?

Thanks for the welcome!

This is one of my first exposures to the 2011s, it is interesting that they are aging quickly as a vintage. This bottle reminded me of ancient bottles that I have had in Tampa. First thing my mother said when she tried it was: “tastes like Berns” (not a wine-person).

Any other recent vintages that are showing age quickly? I love the secondary characteristics, and not having to wait 20yrs would be nice.

Also agree that Follin-Arbelet is a good qpr, I picked up a 3-pack at $135, and am pleased with the purchase.

The 2011 Domaine Follin-Arbelet Pernand-Vergelesses Blanc is drinking very well right now.

1 Like

I was looking at the 2016 version of this. What should I expect? Anyone tasted it?

Not a fan of Folllin-A. but my samples are few.
RSV 08 was not really up to the vineyard quality, and some 1er Crus were developing quite fast.
I m missing substance …