Sunday TNs: Two from Pavelot

Just sitting here waiting for the snow to start falling.

Do you have a wine in your cellar that you’ve collected for years but never seem to get around to opening? One of mine is Pavelot - I have a decent amount (mostly from Guettes), but never get around to pulling any corks. I’ve had a few bottles stood up in the cellar for a while, and last Saturday opened one with Jeff Vaughan and his significantly better half at a socially distanced wine dinner. It was a 2012 Guettes paired with a venison loin, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well the wine drank. So while I await the latest version of Weather Channel snowmageddon, I decided to check out the '11 & '13 Guettes for a little afternoon tipple.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks, Bob. I still have a couple of 96 Pavelot Guettes that maybe I should pull out.

1 Like

Thanks for the notes, Venison sounds like an interesting pairing.

I’m sitting on some 2010s though of the Dominode and Narbantons labeling. Maybe I pop one soon to see where its at.

Fine value Burg producer. Down to 1 bottle of their 06 Corton.

Always enjoy your multi-bottle check-ins Bob…a reminder do so some cellar organization and prep for incoming Berserker wines.

Looks like we’re both in the 12 - 18 inch snow swath. Settle back and enjoy the vino. [cheers.gif]

RT

Snow Day!!! flirtysmile

Snow Days!

RT

I’ll play along. I’m sitting in front of the fireplace watching the snow come down, and just saw Bob’s thread. I enjoyed that 2012 Guettes, too. More so than a recent 09, which hopefully is just at an awkward stage. For some reason I can’t recall, I skipped over the 11, 12, and 13 vintages. I thought about opening a 14, but the tasting notes seem to indicate it needs time, so I settled on a 15, thinking it would be young but accessible. It is. Plenty of sappy, red fruit. Good concentration. I can still taste it, writing this. I’ll edit in my CT note later, but right now we are enjoying this.

• 2015 Domaine Pavelot (Jean-Marc et Hugues) Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Guettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (1/31/2021)
    Popped and poured. Smells nice, with spice and smoke accents. Initially sappy red fruits, that turn darker in tone with air. The wine also gains a little structure as it opens. Good concentration here, and the wine has a very long, sweetish finish. Pretty tasty now, but there is likely some upside ahead.