TN: 2009 Lagier Meredith Syrah (USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder)

• 2009 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (1/30/2021)
    Two hour decant. Deep ruby color, clearing at the edges. Lively aromatics - showing snappy blackberry & currant, mesquite smoke, fresh violets, sassafras, tapenade, hints of bay leaf and clove. Succulent open fruit on the palate, secondary flavors consistent with the bouquet, and adding hints of melted stone and balsamic reduction. Medium-bodied, densely structured but pliable. Bright integrated acidity, and thick juicy tannins, slightly angular, finishing with nice length. Mid-secondary with hints of maturity on the palate, squarely in its drinking window.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Nice note. We’ve always found their Syrah needs about 10 years to really shine.

1 Like

Matt- this is such a great note. Really captured it. We finished an '05 last night. Really opened up after a few hours. I tried to find descriptors but was at a loss to describe the flavors.

2 Likes

Thanks Ian and Bob. I found this recently at K&L and thought it was a no-brainer, then noticed some wildly differing recent opinions on CellarTracker. To me, it exhibits classic traits of LM Syrah and seems to be in a great place. Maybe not a top vintage for this bottling, but certainly a worthy LM Syrah.

1 Like