TN: 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard

• 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (1/29/2021)
    Dark, barely translucent ruby. Slowly-releasing nose of pine forest, anise, violets, acrid raspberry, hints of beef blood. Dense, deep-set layers of raspberry, black cherry, iodine, iron, and compacted earth building on the palate with seemingly effortless persistence over several hours. Steely acidity and firm tannin leading to a long finish of sharp red fruit, iron particles, and slow, brooding grip. Young yet brimming with excellence. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks for the check in Doug - think I will let mine sleep a little longer based on the note.

Jud,

Very reasonable in my view. I was surprised by how youthful the wine showed. It hadn’t budged all that much since the last time we opened a bottle almost 10 years ago.

Cheers,
Doug

He was picking those at 22-23.5 brix when 24.7-26.5 was the rage. Now everyone is making sub-14% alcohols in the SRH now. Ahead of his time.

Roy,

Thank you for that information. He has also utilized stem inclusion for a long time, realizing that these decisions are just part of the whole regarding the making of these lovely wines.

Cheers,
Doug

So if a wine is listed at 13.7% alcohol, what are you thinking the grapes were picked at? And remember this was 15 years ago . . .

Cheers

This particular will follow an aging curve similar to a 2005 Red Burg.
Unfortunately…

TTT

Paul,

Yes the evolution appears to be pretty glacial. Fortunately have a few more.

Cheers,
Doug

The 05 was my first favorite vintage from our vineyard. It has matured quite nicely. We planted the Pinot vineyard in 1998 so it has done very well for such a young wine.

1 Like

According to his website, this wine is still available…

Has anyone tried the 2005 Sleepy Hollow recently?

Stephen,

Thank you for this very cool information about the vineyard. Joe clearly knew a great source when he saw one.

Larry,

If that is the case, it would be amazing to grab some and watch the fireworks in a few years.

Mike,

My last taste of the 2005 Sleepy Hollow was just over a year ago and the wine showed beautifully.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the note, Doug. I’ve tasted this wine only twice, I believe: 2009 and 2016. Very tight on both occasions, which has kept me scared from opening any of my remaining bottles. This one, and the 2001 Pisoni, have been the two most unyielding of Joe’s wines I’ve experienced. I might just check-in on this 2005 Clos Pepe soon (I do have a bottle at home at the moment); if it continues to be super tight I’m just going to bury it deep, next to the '01 Pisonis, and not even think about them for another 4 or 5 years.

Brian,

Sounds like a good plan. This particular bottle became significantly more accessible and expressive at about hour 3 so perhaps a decant is in order. Hope it shows well for you.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Thanks for telling me that, Doug. I made a note of such in CT — here’s hoping I remember and/or see the note when I pull my bottle! [cheers.gif]

Looking forward to the tasting note Brian.

Cheers,
Doug

Probably 23.3 to 23.5 Brix

I had been thinking about popping this since it hit age 15 … but, man, 2005 just continues to age and age. I’ll wait some more. Thanks for the look, Doug!

Tom,

Paul’s comment above may well apply! I am going to wait a bunch more years also before cracking another one.

Cheers,
Doug

Keep in mind time in barrel + humidity + evaporation = elevation of alcohol in barrel. Typically post fermentation labs vs. unfiltered bottling panel showed an increase of 1-1.5 % alcohol. But I am sure you knew that.

1 Like