Clerico wine cork question

I opened a 2006 Clerico, do all the wines (percristina, ciabot mentin, etc.) have clerico on the corks. The one I opened only had the year and wine (eg percristina) but no clerico on it. Please confirm if that’s legit / authentic.

I brought it to the winery’s attention, perhaps they will address it directly.

2001 Ginestra last weekend only had Clerico printed on the cork. Still lots of fairly primary fruit in this bottle, very
fresh.

That doesn’t sound like enough of a reason to be concerned (unless something about the wine itself also gave you pause). I have some '06 Percristina…I’ll try to pull a cork in the coming week or so and report back. However, even within the same wine, it is not uncommon to have different corks, or even different labels as a winery “runs out” of one batch and switches to another…I have some Brunello that are identical wines, same vintage, except for the color of the label. In that case, the two labels correspond to different importers, but I suspect that isn’t the “explanation” for why it happened.

I just opened my second to last 2004 (I was wrong about the vintage I have…I only have ‘04) and the cork simply says Percristina and has a star on it. No mention of Clerico. And I bought this wine directly from the estate…it was not a fake bottle.

1 Like