Robb Report Praises 2011 Cali Cabs

They have a few snippets from Coppola complaining about critics too.

What more needs to be said…off vintages can turn out to be great and vintner over vintage…

I love ‘off vintages’ for every reason listed in this article… fresh, acid, ripeness and balance…

I hardly ever buy ‘vintage of the century’… it’s all bullshit

1 Like

I’ve had generally good experiences with 2011s, notably Jean Edwards Cabs. Even the comparative duds haven’t been bad, just a bit thin if you are looking for a plush wine.
The article is right about the tradeoff aromatics being worth the leaner fruit. A lot like 2011 (and 2007) WV PNs. The better wine makers found a way to shine.

1 Like

Jean Edwards made some great 2011’s. So great I picked up two cases! You could still definitely taste the vintage but it reminded me of Boudreaux much more than Napa cab. Delicious stuff.

Well, more cynically I think a bunch of these producers have ‘library stock’ of 2011’s that in otherbusinesses would be called ‘unsold inventory’ so now that its ten years gone by, maybe someone has something to celebrate so their publicist pulled together this article.

All those crappy bdx vintages get sold on 10, 20 year intervals to anniversaries, birthdays etc.

1 Like

2011 is the best California Pinot year, except for the producers…

I agree . I have seen a number of higher-emd producers trying to move 11, and 12-16 was sold out .

Normal businesses would have cut prices, gotten out of their sluggish stock, and moved on.

The wacky world of high end Napa calls it ‘library stock’ and summons up PR to move the juice.

I guess they are hurting extra since there is no cruise/air/restaurant trade to take all this for BTG pours.

I have had some 2010’s and have loved them!

Me too. Your point?

validity of Robb Report on wine

It seems often the unheralded (stock still available) get compared as a “personal preference” to the lauded (and sold out) vintages by the wineries. Not saying they are always wrong, but it does raise an eyebrow.

Having said that, among my preferred Cali Cab producers, I have found most 08 and 06 to be more to my liking long term than the “great” 07’s. Just one anectodal perspective.

11’s have been great buys at auctions since everyone avoids them. Good producers made good wines for the most part.

I have had some really nice 2011’s…Congruence Cab, Rivers-Marie Napa Cab, Cabot Humboldt Syrah, Kutch Pinots to name a few…

Where else will you get the skinny on $800
Boxer briefs? Come on!

Me too, Ridge 2011s are coming up periodically and I’ve been very happy with them so far. That vintage is a great opportunity for selective buyers.

Pinots seemed to have an easier go and chardonnay a much easier go than cabs. Have had some exceptional chards from 2011, the Mount Eden for example. Have two left in the cellar

Daughter’s birth year is 2011. Have yet to find some bottles to put away for her because I’ve not found many that were worthy. Perhaps I need a second look

11 Continuum is great

Consider Dunn Howell Mountain and MacDonald. Two wines that really transcend the vintage.