TN: 2017 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico

Having had this a couple of months after the 2016 is an interesting comparison. This vintage feels a bit more ponderous in that the fruit quality is slightly more extracted; it’s not syrupy per se but there is a confected quality about it and more black cherry than red - while still possessing great structure and freshness. It feels like the oak integration isn’t QUITE as a seamless as the previous year, too; there is that light touch of cocoa and spice, but I’m splitting hairs. Dusty, powdery tannins for grip, lifted acidity carry the day just as well. It’s still a great buy for the price.

1 Like

Been a regular buy for years.

I really appreciate the fruit combined with structure in this wine - for me, it grabbed me right at the start as a wine that is clear and purposeful. It is very tight and directed in where it goes, with pure red cherry fruit (to me), but bright and fresh. Not dark or overblown at all, but not lean either. I really liked it, and have some to keep for a while to see where it goes.

In fact, it drove me to get 2016 Cepparello since this wine seemed so well made. I realize that will be a very different ride than this bottling, but am excited for it, as well.