TN: 2008 Brick House Les Dijonnais Pinot Noir, Oregon

2008 Brick House Les Dijonnais Pinot Noir, Oregon

This opens up nicely with 15 minutes of air. Neutral wood, mild baking spices and woodsy sous bois. Out going fruit featuring red/black briar berries and black cherry with some subtle soy. Appealing brightness and persistence with noticeable yet tamed tannins. This has integrated nicely over the past several years. I wouldn’t call it layered or particularly complex but it presents a lovely balance with elegant definition. A brash vintage with Doug Tunnell’s deft touch in evidence.

RT

2 Likes

Brick House! RT - I would not have pegged you for a Brick House fan. Wish I had a 2008 Dijonnais left… I’ve got a 2007 aging for posterity.

I remember trying this wine at its release and wondering if it would ever come around. Like many of the 2008s for me, they were uncharacteristically big and somewhat tannic - not the kind of wines I expect from Oregon. It sounds like they’re finally coming into their own. I still have a number of 2008s in the cellar, but I focused more on 2010, which appears to be more in my wheelhouse.

I think a fair number of the 2008 wines are coming around, but the difference between 2008 wines and 2010 wines is the biggest turning point in my career.

Some more than others. Always enjoy his Gamay. This particular 2008 is quite fresh avoiding most of the ripe characteristics common for the vintage.

Wish I’d bought 3x more 2005s and 2010s…and 50% of the 2008s. 20/20 hindsight.

Quite a diverse run of vintages to challenge winemakers from 2007 - 2011.

RT