TN: New Foradori Wines....(short/boring)

Tried these new wines over the weekend:

1. Foradori Fuoripista PinotGrigio IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (12%; U; Louis/Dressner; www.AgricolaForadori.com; 8 months on skins in Tinajas) Elisabetta Foradori/Mezzolombardo 2019: Pale cranberry/bit orangey/ramato color; light phenolic/ViniMacerati/resiny quite floral/PG/orangey rather spicy bit complex nose; bit prickle/dissolved CO2 light phenolic/VM rather floral/PG/spicy/orangey bit earthy/dusty failrly spicy/cinammon bright/zippy flavor w/ little tannins; very long/lingering slight prickle lightly tart/slight metallic light VM/phenolic rather spicy/PG/orangey/floral finish w/ little tannins; quite a lovely ramato w/ good balance of VM & PG fruit. $nc (SC)/$48.50 (KK)

1. Foradori Fontanasanta Nosiola IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (12%; www.AgricolaForadori.com/en; 8 mo. on skins in clay Tinijas) 2019: Med.light gold color; lovely very floral/appley/lemony almost R-like beautiful aromatic nose; quite tart/tangy lemony/appley/citric rather R-like/floral light mineral/stony lovely perfumed flavor; very long/lingering quite floral/gardenias/R-like appley/lemony/citric fairly tart bit stony/mineral finish; a lovely perfumed very R-like white w/ no signs of skin-contact. $49.00 (KK)

1. Foradori Fontanasanta Manzoni Bianco IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (12%; Louis/DressnerSlctns; Frmted in concrete tanks; 12 mo. in Acacia casks) Elisabetta Foradori/Mezzolombardo 2019: Med.light gold color; slight phenolic/cidery/ViniMacerati lightly floral slight funky/natty/hantavirus bit earthy fairly aromatic/floral nose; lightly tart some funky/natty/phenolic/VM/resiny lightly floral/appley flavor w/ very light slightly bitter tannins; very long somewhat tart/tangy fairly rich bit funky/natty light phenolic/VM/resiny/cidery very slight floral/apples/apple blossom finish w/ slight bitterness; not a whole lot of fruit and a bit on the funky/natty side; a bit disappointing for a Foradori; the funky/natty character pretty much clears up after standing overnight in the glass. $35.50 (KK)

1. Foradori Teroldego IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (12.5%; Louis/DresnerSlctns; Frmtd: cement tanks; Aged: 12 mo. in barrel & cement) Mezzolombardo 2018: Very dark color; lovely Teroldego/black cherry cola/DrPepper/RCCola/peppery slight volatile bit dusty/OV classic Teroldego light pencilly/oak bit rustic lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy very strong Teroldego/black cherry cola/DrPepper/peppery light licorice light pencilly/oak flavor w/ modest bit tangy/rough tannins; very long/lingering very strong Teroldego/black cherry cola/DrPepper/peppery light pencilly/oak finish w/ some tangy tannins; quite structured & needs several yrs of age; a classic Foradori Teroldego at a very good price from the Master. $29.00 (KK)

1. Foradori Granato Teroldego IGT: Vigneti delle Dolomiti (13%; L07/20; Old pergola vines in CampoRotiliano; Frmtd: large open vats; 15 mo. in tonneau, 15 mo. in botte) 2018: Very dark color; less intense Teroldego rather toasty/pencilly/Fr.oak bit dusty/OV more subtle/restrained bit more complex/less rustic nose; slightly softer/rounder strong Teroldego/black cherry cola/DrPepper smoother strong pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak less intense Teroldego fruit more balanced/polished quite structure complex flavor w/ ample softer/rounder tannins; very long/lingering strong Teroldego/peppery/black cherry cola some toasty/Fr.oak more rounder/balanced/polished more complex finish w/ some round tannins; less intense Teroldego fruit & strong toasty/Fr.oak component with more high-toned character; should age very well; bit pricey at $75.00 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Whites: This was a pretty impressive rendition of a PG/ramato w/ a very fine balance between VM character and PG fruit. Especially given the long fermentation on the skins. She uses JosePadilla Spanish Tinijas, which are regarded as about the best in the business.
    The two Fontanasantas were a bit of a puzzle to me. The Nosiola had extensive skin-contact. Yet it showed little VM character and was quite floral/aromatic. OTOH, the Manzoni Bianco was skin-contact frmtd and showed only a light VM character. However, it showed a bit too much natty/hantavirus character to my tastes, nothing Iā€™ve seen in Elisabettaā€™s wines before.
    Nosiola is a grape variety pretty much found only in the Trentino. Often used as a blending grape. DNA shows it to be an off-spring of the Swiss grape Reze grown in the Valais.
    Manzoni or Incrocio Manzoni is one of the many crosses developed by Professor Liugi Manzoni at Conegliano in the Veneto in the '20-'30ā€™s. It is a Riesling X Pinot Blanc cross.

1. Teroldego: There is no doubt that Elisabetta is the master of Teroldego. Donā€™t think anyone else comes close, that I can recall.
    Of these two Teroldegos, I much preferred the regular. The Granato had a bit too much Fr.oak and a bit more international in style. I much preferred the more intense pure Teroldego if a bit rustic fruit of the regular. But I expect the Granato may evolve into the better wine down the road.

1. Several yrs ago, we did a visit w/ Elisabetta in Mezzolombardo. A more gracious/caring host you could not find. We took along a btl of the Harrington RonSilettoVnyd Teroldego to share with her. When she tasted it, she nodded her head & admitted it was a very good expression of Teroldegoā€¦ā€œbut not as good as mineā€ was the bon mot she added. I would have to agree, though

1. Elisabetta would also be regarded as a natural wine producer. But the difference between these Foradoris & the LaStoppas are night & day.
    These are the first time the Foradori wines have shown up in NM. Compliments of Paul&Martha Wines in Taos. I thought they were pretty reasonably priced for Foradoris.
    Tom
4 Likes

Completely agree with your take on the ā€˜19s. Have enjoyed the Manzoni in previous years. Bought a case of the ā€˜19 on spec, and really couldnā€™t get past the funky/mousy odor, which did blow off over several hours. Tried multiple bottles, all down the drain. Still have 8, and doubt will improve with time. Teroldogo is the star of her portfolio; particularly like the Sgarzon.

Have enjoyed your short/boring notes for years.

1 Like

If that is the case, then it doesnā€™t sound like mousiness, because itā€™s a characteristic that either is there from the beginning or emerges with air. Once the wine has turned mousy, it doesnā€™t turn back into something cleaner and more drinkable. I wonder what might then be the flaw that is bugging the wine?

What is ā€œR-likeā€??

1 Like

Sorry, Markusā€¦ I use too many abbreviations.
Riesling-like.
Tom

I have been very surprised at how slow Granato evolves. I had an 07 in 2019 and it tasted like it had barely reached the midway point in aging.

1 Like

Yup, Jasonā€¦so Iā€™ve been told. Iā€™ve never had a very old Granato before. Because of the $$, I only buy one & try it on release.
And Iā€™ve invariably preferred the regular Teroldego to the Granato, which I feel is a bit too international in style.
Tom

Have you had her amphora Teroldegos at all? To my taste thatā€™s where the grape finds its most complete and ā€œpenetrableā€ expression

1 Like

Yupā€¦Iā€™ve had both Morei & Sgarzon and liked them quite a bit. Better than the Granatos. But I always return to the
regular Teroldego because of its intensity of pure Teroldego fruitā€¦and the $$'s.
Tom

1 Like

Had the Teroldego 2002 in 2017 and this was my note back then:

ā€”ā€”ā€”
High fill, cork somwhat soaked but very solid. Thin orange rim otherwise rather dark color. Leather, earthy and smokey tones with some darker fruit. Still very much alive, with energy and no sign of acidity or tannins fading, on the contrary, very much present. Well balanced and a long finish.

Based on this bottle this wine will keep deliver for at least another five years without any problem what so ever.
ā€”ā€”ā€”-

Agree that they can age quite well [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Nice notes Tom.

Iā€™m sipping on the 2019 Foradori Teroldego at the moment. It looks a good bit like Welchā€™s grape juiceā€¦but certainly doesnā€™t smell or taste like it. Iā€™m not catching near as much cola/dr.pepper or oakā€¦although thereā€™s evidence of both. Thereā€™s quite a bit of minerality with plenty of black cherry and even more overt dark briar berry fruit. Some dark chocolate and subtle dried herbs. Itā€™s a stretch to call it complex but certainly not without interest. Youthful, integrated, and quaffable!

Iā€™ve been a fan of this QPR bottling for years. The 2019 doesnā€™t disappoint.

RT