TN: 2004 Vignobles Laplace Madiran (France, Southwest France, Madiran)

• 2004 Vignobles Laplace Madiran - France, Southwest France, Madiran (1/24/2021)
    Can’t believe this thing was 10 bucks 17 or so years ago. Talk about value. Had 3 over the lifetime and this last one was still giving. I really liked it, felt nostalgic, and wish I had one more for the near term. Dark garnet in the glass, thick to the brim and you’d not think much of some age from looks. Nose is weighted with black and blackened red fruits, some resin, some oak, some forest floor. Front is blackberry and stewed plums, light vanilla, leather, earthy tones. Tannins are velvety. Acidity is the wild card; kicks in quickly, its potent. Starts integrated however spikes a bit strong over the fruit down to the finish line. You still end with a jolly rancher-esque blackberry note lingering however not well integrated on the ride. Heat does not play a role really at 13.5. Not much more to give at this age, the fruit can only fade from here giving way to the acidity. If I tossed this in a tasting line up, would probably surprise a lot of people. The notes I read don’t do it justice. Its a treat for what was something I tended to forget about for 5 years, then recall and enjoy.

Posted from CellarTracker