Tn: 2014 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

I know KB is not a real popular producer here so I’ll be brief… Needed several hours of air to unfurl. Extreme depth of fruit along with excellent balance. A little bit of savory goodness and spice too. I enjoyed this more than the SLH’s bottling. Wonder what the pricing will be on these appellation wines next month? Cheers!

2 Likes

Some of the critiques have validity (though some of those apply to early 2000s vintages less than ones from 07 and later), but the bottom line is these are usually delicious wines.

Maybe not delicious in the way of what someone wants from wine, or Pinot, or to complement some food, and that’s all fine. But they are still very tasty to drink, and that’s no small thing.

I think Chris has a good point, their will be critiques and they serve up some serious juice.

I would not say they are unpopular. They did rise to quite an esteemed position in the world of Cali Pinot Noir, cult at one point and still are for some. And I don’t dislike them; I still have an 08 laying around; I was drinking them way early on when 2004 broke them out; I loved that pre-2010 time frame. On reflection, I went left and they went right; my tastes evolved one way and their style evolved another. Then their price and shipping (shipping being well above average) grew outside the value I perceived and that was that. So please don’t be brief for that reason, your thoughts will always add to the community knowledge base which is quite diverse and perhaps drive conversation. Never a bad thing.

That said, 2014 was potent and I can see quite a bit of air time needed. On the pricing, it tends to only go in one direction, north.

Thank you for the note!

I think of these as fully ripe opulent style wines when considering food matches and these wines are great fun!