2019 Schloss Johannisberg Riesling Spätlese Grünlack - do we know dis?

I can safely say I know less about higher end German riesling than I know about when I am going to get my vaccine shots here in So Cal. This is highly touted by JS with a high score, and the description sounds great (they always do). So, nu, is this generally worth $65 and 10-20 years in a relative sense to other spatlese? Is anyone jumping on pre arrival for it?

Sounds a bit expensive to me compared to producers with more current track records for greatness but I’ve certainly had some great SJ Rieslings over the years. I’d probably take a flyer on it but wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a good day for JS to taste.

1 Like

Must have sold out quickly because just got the email and the link says page does not exist. Being a wine that you “must taste before you die” and all!

1 Like

I bought some as I was curious, I haven’t had a great wine from this producer in the last 20 years.

It was a fair price direct in a pretty wooden box.

I’ll open one this week.

1 Like

Impressions from Schloss Johannisberg

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3134764#p3134764

1 Like

Stuart Piggot does the Germany reviews for JS.com. On the 2019s his scores tend to be a few points higher than the other critics but he does absolutely love this vintage.

1 Like

I have emptied 9 bottles of this already. 100/100 Trinkfluss champagne.gif , however the 100 JS score is a bit too much…

1 Like

Thanks, all, for your experience and your thoughts. I’m still on the fence for it, but really appreciate your responses. I may instead use the experience to dive deeper into Riesling and the differences between different houses in a similar vintage/dryness series of wines. There have been some good posts recommending how to do just this… I am still tempted by the age of the vineyard and pictures in some of your linked posts. There is a lot of magic in seeing vineyards rolling down a hillside when you can’t really travel for the near future, anyway…