TN: 1989 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Les Perrières

• 1989 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Les Perrières - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (1/23/2021)
    Decanted for about 60 minutes and followed for 3 more hours. Dark opaque garnet color. Fragrant nose of currant, red plum, cassis, green leaf, meaty smells, and high-altitude floral scents. Layers of ripe plum, blackberry, red earth, beef blood, satisfying green pepper, and subtle hints of tobacco on the energetic palate. Vibrant acidity and smoothed tannin. Longer finish of echoing red fruit, green highlights, and craggy soil. So lively and fresh, yet evolved and multifaceted. Wonderful wine still on an upward trajectory. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Nice note Doug. I’ll always have a soft spot for Breton as they were my gateway into Chinon.

Nice note and thank you for sharing! This is really making it tempting…

Jason and Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I am quite fond of these older bottlings, which might still be in the marketplace. I’m amazed (probably shouldn’t be) that they can continue to improve even after decades in bottle. Remarkable stuff.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the note.

1989 was a very special vintage for red Loire Cab Franc. Warm for the time leading to very ripe fruit but with strong acidity and tannin. I’m guessing (but don’t know for sure) that berries at top addresses had thick skins.

We will see if other top vintages since continue to develop and gain complexity without losing their structure and vigor.

Indeed. 1989 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses I had last year and again couple of days ago were just magnificent.

Jayson,

Thanks for the info on the ‘89 vintage. Very helpful in explaining why these bottles might age so well.

Mike,

The Olga Raffault Picassses from ‘89 is another strong bottle which I have had the pleasure of sampling. These are indeed gems.

Cheers,
Doug

Great note, Doug, thanks for sharing. The only 89s I have tasted have been the two Clos from Couly-Dutheil - Clos de l’Olive and Clos de l’Echo, both excellent. I don’t know if this happens in the US, but Couly-Dutheil do an annual library release here which has featured both these wines for the past five years. Every year I get some, every year they re-appear - their stock seems endless. The prices are extremely reasonable too so if you ever see some, grab them and run!

Did you get any cotton candy smells? That is my favorite note in old Bretons

The 1989 Loire vintage is like the 1982 Bordeaux vintage to me.

Julian,

Thank you for the heads up on Couly-Dutheil. I will definitely be on the lookout. I see on Wine-Searcher that some older vintages have made it to our side of the pond.

Josh,

I confess that I did not pick up any cotton candy on the nose. I have a couple of 1993’s in the cellar and will look for that.

Robert,

Alas this was my last bottle of the 1989 vintage but perhaps not for long.

Cheers,
Doug