TN: 2019 Desire Lines Mourvèdre Experimental Series #4: Fred Rides Again

• 2019 Desire Lines Mourvèdre Experimental Series #4: Fred Rides Again - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (1/23/2021)
    First few sips seemed inconsequential, even innocuous. Then the savory emerged in the mid-palate. It was shockingly intense, deep soy, herbal and earthy tones that completely filled my mouth, and carried through the finish like a wave of umami. Fruit? Who needs fruit!

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I am just now seeing this tasting note!!

Thanks for sharing your impressions, David!

Did you “pop n pour”? Decant? Did any survive until Day #2? Most importantly, do you recommend drinking it now, or letting it age for a little bit?

Not David, but I tried a bottle in November. My notes:

Good, dense, denser than the 2019 D&R Evangelho. Decanted, let’s see tomorrow. I dig the style and the price. Alot here, especially for the money. Let’s see tomorrow.

Big and dense on day 2 with high acidity. Inky, dry finish with hints of almond mild bitters. I think this just needs time. At least 2 years.

Just to add a bit of context, I really like what Hardy Wallace is doing and I found out about Desire Lines through one of his Zoom tastings - when he gave them a shout out. Hardy’s wines always show fruit and exuberance to me, even with a pop and pour. His 19 Evangelho, had at the same time, also was a bit more reticent than usual (in my scant four or five vintages of enjoying the D&R wines).

My note on the 2019 D&R Evangelho:

Good, typical bright, floral, mineral D&R profile. It needs some time. Decanted, let’s see tomorrow.

A bit less dense than the Desire Lines Fred’s experimental Mourvedre.

Last somewhat unrelated comment, the 2019 Desire Lines Cole Ranch Riesling was a ridiculously fun and delicious wine.

As always, YMMV.

Hi Drew,

This was a case where I opened, did a splash decant, and then immediately put it back in the bottle. I did that 3 hours before pouring a glass with dinner.

I think this wine needs 2-3 years if you don’t plan to give it a lot of air.

Worth noting that this is mostly fruit from a different site, with only a little bit of Evangelho blended in.

I recall Cody mentioned it was from the vineyard that was the source for the Mourvèdre component of Cigare Volant for many years (or perhaps Old Telegram? Not sure).

Such a young Mourvedre - there is no doubt that it needs time to shine. Heck, even 2019 Mourvedre ROSES are not fully strutting their stuff yet!!! Patience, grasshoppers . . .

Cheers!

Have no fear. There is more where this came from.