TN: 2018 Domaine Marc Kreydenweiss Pinot Blanc La Fontaine aux Enfants (France, Alsace)

In my mind Kreydenweiss is a rather respectable producer but since I drink maybe one bottle of Alsatian wine a year I can’t remember when I last had a wine from this address. The house signature for me has been a sort of Champagne-like autolytic vibe but I did not find any of that here. It is a pretty singular Pinot Blanc-Auxerrois blend though, which is not surprising coming from Kreydenweiss.

• 2018 Domaine Marc Kreydenweiss Pinot Blanc La Fontaine aux Enfants - France, Alsace (23.1.2021)
    Quite a powerfully fruity nose of apricot, orange peel and beeswax - some skin contact perhaps? On the palate rich and concentrated - broad and muscular with a degree of oiliness and certain warmth towards the finish as well. Not very conventionally styled and quite substantial. Fortunately it manages to avoid being neither too heavy nor clumsy and there is a splendid tangy quality to it. It also sports a pretty nice acidity and some tannic bite - yet another sign the wine probably saw some skin contact. Not a Pinot Blanc of the yesteryear, not for everyone and not about brainless drinking fun (but then it is a young, serious wine from the Grand Cru Kastelberg). There is definitely upside though and I can see it being a killer at the table with the right dishes. Not sure if I would rebuy as I am not so high on the skin contact element but a good wine this is by all means and appropriately priced.

Posted from CellarTracker

Loved this wine a few months ago. Thanks for the note.

Kreydenweiss seems to have pretty spotty US distribution, but I had some really nice wines from them years ago. Good to know they are still worth trying.

1 Like

Yeah, the availability is not that great in the EU either. I definitely think it/they are worth trying, was just surprised about the style versus the “still Champagne” autolysis thing that used to be so prominent in these wines in the past.