TN: Cedarville {Viognier} '19....(short/boring)

Tried this the other night, fresh off the boat:

1. CedarvilleVnyd {Viognier} EB/ElDorado (14.1%; 180 cs) FairPlay 2019: Pale yellow color; very fragrant ripe pear/Viog/floral/gardenias slight stony perfumed lovely nose; lightly tart fairly/rich/lush strong pear/Viog/ripe/floral/gardenias slight stony/chalky lovely perfumed flavor; very long lightly tart bright ripe pear/Viog/floral/gardenias finish; a really lovely/bright/restrained Viog well away from DollyParton territory at a very attractive price. $23.00 (PreRelease)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This was the 3’rd shipment of this half-case that Jonathan sent out early this week. The 2’nd, which arrived today, was shipped early in the month and spent nearly two weeks “In Transit” on UPS in Monroe Township, NJ. The 1’st one was shipped shortly after Thanksgiving and still resides “In Transit” in Secaucus NJ. Why the first two went to NJ I have no idea.
    The early Cedarville Viogniers were often a bit riper than I liked and a bit on the soft side, but still avoided DollyParton territory. The ones the last few yrs have shown much more restraint and balance, yet plenty of ripeness and flavor. Not at all pinched & eviscerated. They are typically one of my favorite Viogniers and have a style that my Viog palate is gravitating towards. Though I still have a soft spot in my heart for an occasional DollyParton.

1. This time period marks the 1 yr anniversary of Susan’s death. It cam as quite a shock to me when I first heard of it less than a yr ago.
    I have, of course, followed the Cedarville wines from the very start, when they first showed at the HdR in Paso some yrs ago. I think they only had their Syrah to show at that time. I took an instant like to it and even more of a like to Jonathan & Susan. Susan had that rare gift to bring out the best in people and it was fun to watch people approach the Cedarville pouring table and light up when Susan started to engage them. Much of the success of Cedarville is not only due to the quality of the wines but the magic that was Susan, either at a pouring table or during a visit to the wnry. My next visit to Cedarville (been way too long) will just not seem the same w/o Susan there. Not only Jonathan, but many of us sorely miss her presence. She was one of a kind and able to easily connect to people with grace & warmth.

1. It’s long been a puzzle to me about the Cedarville labels. The varietal name has always been included in {} braces. Surely there must be a story behind that choice that will someday come out!!
    Tom