TN: 2012 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

First things first - decant this wine for 2-4 hours or wait another 5-7 years. I did not give it sufficient air, and it was downright angry for the first hour I was sipping at it. It started to open up after that, but it was at the three hour mark when it finally unfurled, and the fruit emerged to balance the tannic structure. There’s still obvious oak, but it also came into balance with time. As I had my last few sips it really did remind me of its big brother wine, but on a smaller scale. I left 1/3 of the bottle to check on over the next couple of evenings, and will develop a notional plan for how to handle the rest. It really was lovely once it opened up, it just needed a lot of time.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

We opened one at the beach for dinner and it’s in a great spot and quite good. I struggle having Cabernet during the summer in Florida. The Ridge though is not heavy at all. Some might even think it too light for Cab/Merlot but it really delivers. It has a nice dark fruit/plum profile on it as well. No influence of oak that I could discern and everyone enjoyed. Reminded me a bit of EMH Black Cabernet in style and profile though Black Cat doesn’t have any merlot blended in I believe.

We don’t drink many Cabs anymore but happy to have a few more of these when the mood strikes.

1 Like

I bought '12 and '13 to serve to my cab-loving sister. Looks like there’s bottle or lot variation going on. I had one recently, cellared since release, that was fully mature, or just past peak even; my '13s on the other hand show exactly like this, whereas there are CT notes saying it is ready.

1 Like

Cork variation!

1 Like