TN: 2014 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Distinguished Vineyards Soda Canyon Ranch Vineyards

• 2014 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Distinguished Vineyards Soda Canyon Ranch Vineyards - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/18/2021)
    Last minute selection to go with a NY Strip. I popped and let this decant the time it basically took to cook end to end. Maybe 30 or so, but drak over 2 days. In the glass you can tell this is serious. Its dense as hell, like a glass of ink. No edge, its that solid. The nose is dark and purple fruit, chalk, vanilla fun dip stick, touch of bell pepper. On the front its black cherry, blackberry, vanilla, a bit of tobacco. Very forward, brooding, a bit austere in how it presents, even on day 2; yet a medium mouthfeel, its not viscous or heavy handed to me that way. Tannins are firm, gripping from the beginning and present throughout. Medium acidity and kicks in at the mid-palate and helps to power the finish. Maybe not hte most integrated wine. Its fruit-driven, and the finish gets a bit astringent towards the tail end. I should have let sit for another 3 - 4 years but I was curious. I have the '15 which will lay down longer. So… end results… great potential, too soon to open but I did, big fruit, big structure. not super balanced or integrated however I can see it getting there with time.

Posted from CellarTracker

IN Autum 2017 I had privilage to attend event with Warren Winiarski in Poland and were served Fay 2014, SLV 2014 and Cask 23 2014. Alle were outstanding ( 93-94/100pts) but clearly Fay was the most forward/ready and Cask 23 was packed and prepared for long haul.