TN: 2018 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2018 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/18/2021)
    Gobs of fruit and gritty French oak tannins and jam. At first I thought it was completely overdone, but after some time in decanter, it wasn’t as offensive as I initially thought. And the initial sweetness took somewhat of a backseat eventually (although still most certainly there). Same with the oak, it’s prominent, but not offensive. At 14.3% ABV, it’s almost on the lighter style for the region.

Not at all my style of wine (got it gifted), but for the region, decent QPR. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I opened a bottle of this last night. I remembered this note, partly because I had drank this wine on a previous occasion and the note did not jive with my recollection. I did not post at the time because I do not keep notes. Well I am glad I did not respond until now because last night’s bottle was very well described by Adam. There was definitely some residual sweetness. Kind of bugs me too, because I sure hope this is not reflected in their other 2018 SV and Black Label cabernets, which have been pretty stellar (IMHO) over the last number of years.

1 Like

I tried to drink this wine recently. Felt like I was punched in the mouth.

1 Like

It’s funny, I’d always said that Stags’ Leap’s Artemis was a great and almost perfect old school Napa cab, as that’s how I remembered it from a visit (and from the subsequent bottles in cellar). Then I opened one not that long ago, and was overwhelmed by the sweetness. It’s funny how quick your palate changes and how a memory of a wine can be so different after some time has passed.

I’ve had 2 or 3 prior vintages and they have all been meh and a relatively poor QPR. I still have a 2012 that I need to pull but I really don’t have any high expectations.

I drank one of these a few weeks ago after a 3 hr decant, found it to be a nice example of recent Turnbull cabs at a good price point

Yeah, isn’t this wine about $40? The critics think this is a steal and if it is any good, they are right. Cheers!

Yep, I think I even got it at a shade under $40 at Rye Brook before all the reviews started coming in and retailers bumped the price a bit. Ass good of a value as you’re going to find in Napa cabs IMO.