2018 Realm is coming (2/9/2021)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2018 Realm is coming (2/9/2021)

#101 Post by ykwon »

SeanHarding wrote: February 9th, 2021, 6:17 pm Cellartracker has "2018 Realm Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Houyi Vineyard" and "2018 Realm Cellars Houyi Vineyard."

Are these the same, or are there two wines from Houyi?
Go with the one that has the most bottles logged
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

FMansfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by FMansfield »

scott.becker wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:46 am No sense in giving you hope of getting a bottle of Dr. Crane if there's no way we would be able to fulfill it.

Hearing from a lot of folks disappointed about not getting Dr. Crane, which is understandable. My recommendation is you call Andy Beckstoffer's office and suggest he sell us more fruit from that vineyard. (I'm half kidding!)
In the same boat re: Dr Crane. Got everything else and wished as well...for things I actually want. (I saw your other post).
F r e d e r i c k [cheers.gif]

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Philip G »

Siggyb wrote: February 9th, 2021, 12:49 pm
I was only allocated 1 Beckstoffer Bourn as well and was bummed out. I have the 15 and 16 The 15 is beautiful. Haven't opened the 16 yet. I forgot to order the 17 so maybe that is why I was only offered 1 as well. Totally forgot about that. Darn. I like your idea about the unofficial WL.
Just getting my order in and didn't realize that the wish list option only shows up after putting in your full allocation [oops.gif] . My intention was just to send a note with my order letting them know I would be interested in more in the future but from what I understand their algorithm takes into account your wishlist requests for future orders. So we're covered [dance-clap.gif]

Can't wait to see that Bourn bottle in person, looks like a work of art [worship.gif]
Chip G@@d

chris.p

#104 Post by chris.p »

I just place my order, fill as much as I can and wishlisted To Kalon and Dr.Crane. Finger crossed!
Chris Peng. Fino Alla Fine champagne.gif

Anthony V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Anthony V »

2016 Realm Beckstoffer To Kalon is currently on Benchmark Wine for $265, which seems like a steal. And they have like 20 bottles available.

https://www.benchmarkwine.com/winery/15 ... _ids=83726
V@il

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by NickRut »

Anthony V wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm 2016 Realm Beckstoffer To Kalon is currently on Benchmark Wine for $265, which seems like a steal. And they have like 20 bottles available.

Wow that sold out quick.
Rutkowski

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by NickRut »

Anthony V wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm 2016 Realm Beckstoffer To Kalon is currently on Benchmark Wine for $265, which seems like a steal. And they have like 20 bottles available.

Wow that sold out quick.
Rutkowski

R@f@el A.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#108 Post by R@f@el A. »

NickRut wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Wow that sold out quick.
Looks like price was increased to $418 per bottle!
@guil@r

Anthony V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Anthony V »

Wow that sold out quick.
Interesting. Maybe it was a pricing error. I was able to buy one and looks like maybe 3 more sold at that price before it jumped up.
V@il

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by NickRut »

Anthony V wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Wow that sold out quick.
Interesting. Maybe it was a pricing error. I was able to buy one and looks like maybe 3 more sold at that price before it jumped up.

I’d have bought all 20 so I’m glad I didn’t see it lol. Must’ve been an error for sure.
Rutkowski

markjchambers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by markjchambers »

Maybe this should be it's own thread but I'm curious about the similarities and differences between Realm and Bevan. I buy some Bevan (not a lot). Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that Bevan Dr.Crane was still available. I didn't buy anything at the time of their Fall release, but when I saw that post I went to their website and bought 3 bottles of their Dr. Crane for $195. And a bunch of Ontogeny. I like both producers and I think they represent some of the best value in Napa cabs, but I've found it much easier to get Bevan. Does Bevan produce more wine or is Realm just more popular? I'll be able to compare Ontogeny with The Bard, but I won't be able compare Dr. Cranes for a while.

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by scott.becker »

Hi everyone, circling back on the eve of our final release day...we are grateful and humbled by the support. All of the wines are oversubscribed (purchases + wishes) so we will do the best we can to parse through the wish requests but sadly we will not be able to fill them all. This process inevitably includes tradeoffs, some of which I could argue for either side. We take into account tenure, purchase history, prior wish requests, etc...as I mentioned in a previous post. We also factor in buying across the portfolio. Is it better to give the member who already purchased six bottles of Farella one more bottle from his or her wish request...or to share that one bottle with a member who hasn't been able to purchase it yet and wished for some? There is no easy answer.

From where we sit now, it seems likely we will be able to grant more To Kalon wish requests than Dr. Crane. Wish granting on magnums of all wines will be thin. Allocations were very tight on Beckstoffer Bourn given that we had no history with it so I'm glad we will be able to grant some of the wish requests. We aim to wrap up this process on Thursday. You will get an email notifying you of the status of your wish requests. If we are able to grant some or all of your requests, we automatically charge the credit card on file and combine the wish requests with your original order. Shipping is adjusted to include the combined order.

Thank you again for the support and the engagement on this forum. As soon as we wrap up this release, we go back to the drawing board for the next one. Stay tuned for some exciting developments later in the year - launching a new website, reopening the estate to guests this summer, and one or two surprises up our sleeves....
These users thanked the author scott.becker for the post (total 8):
ykwon, Bdklein, William Anzalone, Philip G, SeanHarding, JFPelletier, Andrew Ing, robmundell
Realm Cellars

Siggyb

#113 Post by Siggyb »

scott.becker wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 7:16 pm Hi everyone, circling back on the eve of our final release day...we are grateful and humbled by the support. All of the wines are oversubscribed (purchases + wishes) so we will do the best we can to parse through the wish requests but sadly we will not be able to fill them all. This process inevitably includes tradeoffs, some of which I could argue for either side. We take into account tenure, purchase history, prior wish requests, etc...as I mentioned in a previous post. We also factor in buying across the portfolio. Is it better to give the member who already purchased six bottles of Farella one more bottle from his or her wish request...or to share that one bottle with a member who hasn't been able to purchase it yet and wished for some? There is no easy answer.

From where we sit now, it seems likely we will be able to grant more To Kalon wish requests than Dr. Crane. Wish granting on magnums of all wines will be thin. Allocations were very tight on Beckstoffer Bourn given that we had no history with it so I'm glad we will be able to grant some of the wish requests. We aim to wrap up this process on Thursday. You will get an email notifying you of the status of your wish requests. If we are able to grant some or all of your requests, we automatically charge the credit card on file and combine the wish requests with your original order. Shipping is adjusted to include the combined order.

Thank you again for the support and the engagement on this forum. As soon as we wrap up this release, we go back to the drawing board for the next one. Stay tuned for some exciting developments later in the year - launching a new website, reopening the estate to guests this summer, and one or two surprises up our sleeves....
Hi Scott! Thanks for your information it is greatly appreciated. So excited for the release and Thursday. Cheers!
Signe' B e c k [cheers.gif]

FMansfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by FMansfield »

markjchambers wrote: February 15th, 2021, 6:42 pm Maybe this should be it's own thread but I'm curious about the similarities and differences between Realm and Bevan. I buy some Bevan (not a lot). Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that Bevan Dr.Crane was still available. I didn't buy anything at the time of their Fall release, but when I saw that post I went to their website and bought 3 bottles of their Dr. Crane for $195. And a bunch of Ontogeny. I like both producers and I think they represent some of the best value in Napa cabs, but I've found it much easier to get Bevan. Does Bevan produce more wine or is Realm just more popular? I'll be able to compare Ontogeny with The Bard, but I won't be able compare Dr. Cranes for a while.
Bump
These users thanked the author FMansfield for the post:
MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
F r e d e r i c k [cheers.gif]

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#115 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L »

I buy both, although “the buying” is limited by allocation. I think Benoit and Russell have a very similar approach to winemaking in that they let the vineyards speak and IMHO the wines have many common traits. They drink well early, they drink well mid-life, and we’re all waiting to see what they’re like at 15 yrs. For my palate, the Realm wines seem bright and energetic with a more apparent vanilla oak component when young. The Bevan wines seem inkier, more glycerin-like with big boisterous fruit. Both wines integrate into beautiful specimens. I think both winemakers are masters at their craft. In the secondary, Realm generally commands a premium over release, while only a handful of the Bevan wines (generally the 99/100 pointers) get the premium.

I can’t comment on numbers/availability as I simply don’t know but I know a lot of people who know about Realm but have still never heard of Bevan Cellars. I can’t wait to pair up the ‘18 Dr. C’s against each other.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author MICHAEL C R O M W E L L for the post:
N. Justl
M i c h a e l C r o m w e l l
CT: Geaux Tigers

Jason Petty

#116 Post by Jason Petty »

On the fence but will probably pass on this allocation. Don't the like money grab. I get it that they have expenses for the new winery, they don't want to leave any premium on the table (ie Crane), etc etc. But I'm probably out. Not sure I will be buying going forward at these sustained price levels. And I know a lot people on the list, long time buyers also dropping. Good for Realm having a deep bench of buyers and people waiting in the wings willing to soak up the inventory from those that are passing. The Napa inflation continues to amaze me. Wish Realm luck going forward but this is not sustainable. Wouldn't be surprised if we're talking about Realm in 5 years like the way we talk about what happened to the brand of Kosta Browne for ex. Exactly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mike Van1

#117 Post by Mike Van1 »

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 3:39 pm
I can’t comment on numbers/availability as I simply don’t know but I know a lot of people who know about Realm but have still never heard of Bevan Cellars. I can’t wait to pair up the ‘18 Dr. C’s against each other.
I’d like to throw the ‘18 Vice Versa and Memento Mori Dr Cranes in with a ‘18 Realm and Bevan Dr Crane tasting. Luckily I’ll be able to do that this year.
V-one

blarmston

#118 Post by blarmston »

Mike Van1 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:34 pm
MICHAEL C R O M W E L L wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 3:39 pm
I’d like to throw the ‘18 Vice Versa and Memento Mori Dr Cranes in with a ‘18 Realm and Bevan Dr Crane tasting. Luckily I’ll be able to do that this year.
Arrow & Branch and Myriad (especially their Elysian reserve bottling) also make stellar Dr C’s...
-Brian Armston

CraigT

#119 Post by CraigT »

Jason Petty wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:05 pm On the fence but will probably pass on this allocation. Don't the like money grab. I get it that they have expenses for the new winery, they don't want to leave any premium on the table (ie Crane), etc etc. But I'm probably out. Not sure I will be buying going forward at these sustained price levels. And I know a lot people on the list, long time buyers also dropping. Good for Realm having a deep bench of buyers and people waiting in the wings willing to soak up the inventory from those that are passing. The Napa inflation continues to amaze me. Wish Realm luck going forward but this is not sustainable. Wouldn't be surprised if we're talking about Realm in 5 years like the way we talk about what happened to the brand of Kosta Browne for ex. Exactly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree with you. It seems like a money grab. I don’t like when California wineries do this just because some of there wines sell higher on secondary markets. We buyers generally support them by buying there full range, even wines we might pass up otherwise. The problem with California producers is they don’t lower their prices when there’s a so so vintage like Bordeaux does. There prices are stagnant unlike Bordeaux which tends to very on quality, most of the time.
Craig Teets

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by scott.becker »

Jason and Craig, you raise fair points and I understand your perspective. I hope someday we can meet over a glass of wine to discuss the economics of winegrowing at the highest level in Napa Valley. I may not ultimately convince you of my view but I'm sure it would be a fun discussion! We will continue to work our tails off every day to ensure the entire portfolio of wines are worthy of the high expectations from our members. Jason, I will gladly take the other side of the bet on your 5-year outlook for Realm...maybe we can wager a bottle of Champagne to be shared together at the winery in 2026?!?
These users thanked the author scott.becker for the post:
MikeHill
Realm Cellars

Josh H

#121 Post by Josh H »

scott.becker wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:01 am Jason and Craig, you raise fair points and I understand your perspective. I hope someday we can meet over a glass of wine to discuss the economics of winegrowing at the highest level in Napa Valley. I may not ultimately convince you of my view but I'm sure it would be a fun discussion! We will continue to work our tails off every day to ensure the entire portfolio of wines are worthy of the high expectations from our members. Jason, I will gladly take the other side of the bet on your 5-year outlook for Realm...maybe we can wager a bottle of Champagne to be shared together at the winery in 2026?!?
I don’t, in any way, think Realm will go the way of Kosta Brown and some others. In my opinion, Realm not only offers consistently incredible wines (even while increasing the case count on wines like the Bard), but they’re progressive and extremely well-run. To me, Scott and the team at Realm have evolved in really great ways and are continuing to do so. I think they’re a class act and it’s a winery that I’m very excited about the future of. And no, Scott didn’t offer me a bottle of Crane to say this!
Josh Higgins

Zachary Mancini

#122 Post by Zachary Mancini »

scott.becker wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:01 am Jason and Craig, you raise fair points and I understand your perspective. I hope someday we can meet over a glass of wine to discuss the economics of winegrowing at the highest level in Napa Valley. I may not ultimately convince you of my view but I'm sure it would be a fun discussion! We will continue to work our tails off every day to ensure the entire portfolio of wines are worthy of the high expectations from our members. Jason, I will gladly take the other side of the bet on your 5-year outlook for Realm...maybe we can wager a bottle of Champagne to be shared together at the winery in 2026?!?
Dang I just want to take the bet so I can share Champagne or Realm wines with you! Maybe a Dr. Crane? Ha!

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Philip G »

The money grab comments reminds me of people who complain that professional athletes get paid too much. In the end the market will drive the price of their worth. If an owner is making enough money on tv, attendance, etc they can afford to pay the players what they're asking in order to win and increase profits/worth. I'd rather see the money go to the players than to sit an owners pockets. Granted, there could arguably be way better ways to use the billions of dollars being spent on sports but that's the current nature of our capitalistic, entertainment society. Don't watch sports on TV if you don't like it otherwise you are part of the problem.

Is Realm responsible for the market value of their wine? Realm Dr Crane typically sells on the open market for 1.5-2 times the release price so even at the current pricing there are a lot of people making money off of them simply by buying and selling their product. I can only afford a few of these higher end wines (not sure if afford is the right word!) but I hardly think of this as a money grab.
These users thanked the author Philip G for the post:
William Anzalone
Chip G@@d

Christine Courtney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Christine Courtney »

Josh H wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:40 am
I don’t, in any way, think Realm will go the way of Kosta Brown and some others. In my opinion, Realm not only offers consistently incredible wines (even while increasing the case count on wines like the Bard), but they’re progressive and extremely well-run. To me, Scott and the team at Realm have evolved in really great ways and are continuing to do so. I think they’re a class act and it’s a winery that I’m very excited about the future of. And no, Scott didn’t offer me a bottle of Crane to say this!

Well I wasn't offered a Crane, Bourne or To Kalon Cab Sauv or Cab Franc, but I agree! Realm is one of my favorite wineries, mostly for the wine team and quality of the wine, which seem to be fairly priced for what they are (although I can't speak for The Absurd, lol). My husband and I have been looking at real estate in Napa Valley for years now, hoping to retire there someday, and it is so ex-pen-sivvveeeeee for what you get. Realm seems to be fairly new-ish, which means costs run high for grapes, winery, etc, as they aren't on properties that have been handed down generation after generation or owned by multi-national banks, like in France, as one example pointed out for Bordeaux (a favorite region of mine as well). Sure, maybe there is some fluctuation in price in Bordeaux with vintages, but the first growths also raised their prices to astronomical levels in the mid 2000's just based on demand alone, not quality per se. Realm is very much in demand, and I predict someday soon may be considered a Napa "First Growth", yet still seems to keep prices in line.....plus they are very transparent and seem to care a lot about their customers and the wine they produce, which we can see on this website...something I very much appreciate!

Josh H

#125 Post by Josh H »

Christine Courtney wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:53 am
Josh H wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:40 am

Well I wasn't offered a Crane, Bourne or To Kalon Cab Sauv or Cab Franc, but I agree! Realm is one of my favorite wineries, mostly for the wine team and quality of the wine, which seem to be fairly priced for what they are (although I can't speak for The Absurd, lol). My husband and I have been looking at real estate in Napa Valley for years now, hoping to retire there someday, and it is so ex-pen-sivvveeeeee for what you get. Realm seems to be fairly new-ish, which means costs run high for grapes, winery, etc, as they aren't on properties that have been handed down generation after generation or owned by multi-national banks, like in France, as one example pointed out for Bordeaux (a favorite region of mine as well). Sure, maybe there is some fluctuation in price in Bordeaux with vintages, but the first growths also raised their prices to astronomical levels in the mid 2000's just based on demand alone, not quality per se. Realm is very much in demand, and I predict someday soon may be considered a Napa "First Growth", yet still seems to keep prices in line.....plus they are very transparent and seem to care a lot about their customers and the wine they produce, which we can see on this website...something I very much appreciate!
Nice post and I agree on all fronts. I really don’t get the money grab comments at all. I feel as though Realm actually does care a lot about being transparent and they continually have excellent customer service.

Regarding Bourn, I was offered one and purchased it, and meant to wish list one last night before the deadline closed...but I fell asleep and woke up a half hour after the deadline!
Josh Higgins

Dennis_L

#126 Post by Dennis_L »

I think the Realm has been thoughtful and transparent and when it comes to pricing, folks will always be disappointed either way. Limited by supply and with a robust secondary market, then folks who enjoy the wine (save the few lucky "early" list joiners) are the only ones who are happy. I applaud the transparency by Realm and the thoughtfulness in trying to reconcile having a great product that is desired by many (as evidenced by secondary market premiums) and providing access to to new fans.

I don't envy the decisions that Scott and the team have to make but wanted to also point out that folks are passionate in what they do, so inevitably disappointment will elicit the same emotional response magnitude.
D3nn!s L ! u

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Eric Z. »

It is a tough call but some I've seen music bands at the same venue for 20+ years and the prices of tickets have went up from $35 to almost $200 in that period, for the same band, same venue, etc. With Stubhub and other online resellers, bands/agents/venues started to see the real price the market would allow and adjusted their pricing - again why give away money to the secondary market if you can make it yourself. I would assume Realm is in that position - if their wines sell for 1.5-2x off the mailing list - why leave that money on the table when they can either pocket that money or re-invest it into the business. That is what our economy is based on - free will and free markets.
These users thanked the author Eric Z. for the post:
Philip G
Z l o t o g u r a

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Philip G »

Eric Z. wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:28 pm It is a tough call but some I've seen music bands at the same venue for 20+ years and the prices of tickets have went up from $35 to almost $200 in that period, for the same band, same venue, etc. With Stubhub and other online resellers, bands/agents/venues started to see the real price the market would allow and adjusted their pricing - again why give away money to the secondary market if you can make it yourself. I would assume Realm is in that position - if their wines sell for 1.5-2x off the mailing list - why leave that money on the table when they can either pocket that money or re-invest it into the business. That is what our economy is based on - free will and free markets.
Well, with music their whole business model has changed. They used to tour to support record sales, so tickets were cheap. Now they make very little off of sales so need to make money off of concert tours. And car commercials ;-)

I agree, the people who produce the product should reap the rewards. We know what an elite group it is to be a professional athlete or musician and how hard most of them work to achieve that. How does that compare to being a multi-hundo winemaker?
Chip G@@d

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Eric Z. »

Philip G wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:55 pm
Eric Z. wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:28 pm It is a tough call but some I've seen music bands at the same venue for 20+ years and the prices of tickets have went up from $35 to almost $200 in that period, for the same band, same venue, etc. With Stubhub and other online resellers, bands/agents/venues started to see the real price the market would allow and adjusted their pricing - again why give away money to the secondary market if you can make it yourself. I would assume Realm is in that position - if their wines sell for 1.5-2x off the mailing list - why leave that money on the table when they can either pocket that money or re-invest it into the business. That is what our economy is based on - free will and free markets.
Well, with music their whole business model has changed. They used to tour to support record sales, so tickets were cheap. Now they make very little off of sales so need to make money off of concert tours. And car commercials ;-)

I agree, the people who produce the product should reap the rewards. We know what an elite group it is to be a professional athlete or musician and how hard most of them work to achieve that. How does that compare to being a multi-hundo winemaker?
could one say the wine industry has changed with more D-T-C wine sales vs going into a retail store and purchasing wine? I've only been on WB for barely a year so just taking a stab with this analogy.

Just saying the markets will regulate and personally I have no issue with the owner of the content/producer making more than a 3rd party agent in the middle.

That said Realm is over my budget anyways so its not as if I am a buyer.
Z l o t o g u r a

Matthew Khamlue

#130 Post by Matthew Khamlue »

I signed up for Realm and was offered everything but To Kalon and Dr. Crane and the cab franc. I picked up a bottle of Bourne. It does not seem like scarcity is driving the prices of most of the bottles if I was able to sign up with no waitlist at all.

Jeff L

#131 Post by Jeff L »

Matthew Khamlue wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:26 pm I signed up for Realm and was offered everything but To Kalon and Dr. Crane and the cab franc. I picked up a bottle of Bourne. It does not seem like scarcity is driving the prices of most of the bottles if I was able to sign up with no waitlist at all.
Hm that's interesting as I've been on the list and ordered in the past but wasn't offered any Bourn. But I agree, it's not scarcity IMO but a superior product, which is how it should be. I know Bard is not on this offerings agenda but I struggle to find a better niche Napa bottling at the member price. Solid
L e & i * e

Michael W. Lee

#132 Post by Michael W. Lee »

Just check, is $418. Not $265 that I wish

Michael W. Lee

#133 Post by Michael W. Lee »

Can anyone who can tell me how long to I have wait for Realm ToKalon CS??? Finally I moved up to offer list last week but no ToKalon offer, not even wish list.🥲

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Philip G »

Michael W. Lee wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:37 pm Can anyone who can tell me how long to I have wait for Realm ToKalon CS??? Finally I moved up to offer list last week but no ToKalon offer, not even wish list.🥲
It took me about 2 years. In the meantime I bought a bottle or two of Moonracer and Houyi and a whole bunch of Bard and Tempest.
Chip G@@d

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by scott.becker »

This is one of those posts that can be categorized as “damned if I do, damned if I don’t.” We just wrapped up hours of release analysis to figure out how to allocate remaining bottles and grant various wish requests tomorrow. I actually dread this part of the process. We are in the business of hopefully making people happy with our wines and too often we end up disappointing people on wish granting day.

Demand was very high this release. Of course we are incredibly grateful for that but it also means we are granting fewer wish requests than hoped for. The process is too complex and nuanced to articulate in one post but I’ll try to provide some general perspective on how we approach this. If this was just math, it would be easier in some ways. Give the remaining bottles to those members who have been with us the longest or spent the most. And don’t get me wrong, those are two important factors. But Realm has always been as much about emotion and art as it is about reason and science. We need rules to follow yet we also need the creativity to break them when necessary.

In a perfect world, all members requesting more wine would get the exact amount of each wine they requested. In a less perfect world, from my perspective, all members requesting more wine would at least get something from their request. We aren’t even close to that yet…because we have nearly a thousand members who aren’t getting any wish requests. Could have been a one bottle request or a dozen or in some instances more…and tomorrow we need to tell them we have nothing more to give. Truly, it’s one of the most dreaded communications we ever send.

There was very little Fidelio and Houyi to play with so wish granting on those wines is minimal. We were able to dip a little further into the list with To Kalon for those members who’ve been around for a few years with a healthy purchase history. Dr. Crane is extremely tight so the few remaining bottles didn’t go very far. Farella and Bourn were somewhere in between. Mags were very tight across the board.

Wherever possible, we tried to minimize the group of members receiving zero wish requests…this means a member might get a bottle of Farella or Bourn (but not Crane or To Kalon) even though technically the data/algorithm might indicate otherwise. If a member only purchased Crane and To Kalon and wished for more, we generally kept further wish granting extremely limited. The point here is that we looked across the portfolio in this release to give a slight nod to members who purchased everything. We tried to be mindful of package sizes so we didn’t end up with a member who had 7 bottles, for example, which is inefficient for shipping charges.

A lot of thought and effort went into trying to get this right and yet I know we weren’t perfect. Some members may share their numbers with other members…only to have someone left scratching their head about why she got this or he didn’t get that. In my experience, it’s difficult to compare one journey to another because they are each truly unique. People aren’t always forthright about what they buy or don’t, how much they buy or don’t, etc.

We will continue to refine this process so as always feedback and questions are welcome. Doesn’t mean we can start making exceptions or special accommodations. If I did that, I know I would be crucified on this board. But we will always listen and we will always look for ways that we can over deliver on members’ expectations. Maybe that doesn’t happen this release but it could happen during the next one. We try to take a long view to cultivating these relationships.

Thank you again for being a part of this journey with us. I truly appreciate all the dialogue and engagement on this board. You can call or email me or the team anytime.
These users thanked the author scott.becker for the post (total 5):
SeanHarding, ykwon, Andrew Ing, JFPelletier, Philip G
Realm Cellars

Michael W. Lee

#136 Post by Michael W. Lee »

Philip G wrote: February 24th, 2021, 3:13 pm
Michael W. Lee wrote: February 24th, 2021, 2:37 pm Can anyone who can tell me how long to I have wait for Realm ToKalon CS??? Finally I moved up to offer list last week but no ToKalon offer, not even wish list.🥲
It took me about 2 years. In the meantime I bought a bottle or two of Moonracer and Houyi and a whole bunch of Bard and Tempest.
Thanks for let me know! If 2 years then I can wait. Last week I only got offer 1x Houyi, 1x Farella, and 1x white wine, so that I take the Farella and 1x Bourn wish.

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Matt A »

scott.becker wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm We tried to be mindful of package sizes so we didn’t end up with a member who had 7 bottles, for example, which is inefficient for shipping charges.
🤦🏼‍♂️ I should of thought about that dynamic. I ordered 6 bottles, a little of everything offered. Wish listed 2 To Kalon’s and 1 Crane. Hopefully that doesn’t disqualify the wish list option in the Realm matrix.
I guess we’ll see. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Scott for the look behind the curtain.
We plan on coming out and visiting this fall.

p.s. Realm is doing something right if they are creating this much interest, buzz, and discussion in a wine forum. Over 3 pages long for a single wine release....
That’s a good thing.
-Ablard

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by HoosJustinG »

scott.becker wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm
We will continue to refine this process so as always feedback and questions are welcome. Doesn’t mean we can start making exceptions or special accommodations. If I did that, I know I would be crucified on this board. But we will always listen and we will always look for ways that we can over deliver on members’ expectations. Maybe that doesn’t happen this release but it could happen during the next one. We try to take a long view to cultivating these relationships.

Thank you again for being a part of this journey with us. I truly appreciate all the dialogue and engagement on this board. You can call or email me or the team anytime.
Appreciate the transparency. One suggestion I might make is that if somebody already ordered 6, 12, 24 etc bottles exactly and still wish-listed wine, that is an indicator, to me, that they’re OK with paying for inefficient shipping.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Nicholas C

#139 Post by Nicholas C »

For those who can’t wait, if you login to your account you should see an updated order with what you were granted from your wishlists.

I had wishlisted across the board and it looks like I was granted a couple of bottles of To Kalon which I am grateful for.

Thanks Scott and team

[cheers.gif]
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Nicholas C

#140 Post by Nicholas C »

Never mind. Just received the updated order via email as well

Interestingly my wishlist grant pushed me from 5 bottles to the inefficient for shipping 7...
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Justin Sarni

#141 Post by Justin Sarni »

Nicholas C wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:22 am Never mind. Just received the updated order via email as well

Interestingly my wishlist grant pushed me from 5 bottles to the inefficient for shipping 7...
Same for me

Jeff L

#142 Post by Jeff L »

Oi, only 1 Farella granted, nothing else. Burns!

To be fair, I did call the morning the allocations opened and they were quite honest I'd probably be disappointed..

The part that stinks the most is that I didn't take my full available allocation because I couldn't swing that plus the possibility of being granted all my wishes. But now that I didn't get much granted I would have ordered more originally...
L e & i * e

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by HoosJustinG »

Wishlisted quite a bit and was granted 3 BTK - bummed for no Crane but did a little happy dance for the BTK.

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by scott.becker »

Nicholas and Justin Sarni - call us at the winery 707-224-1910 and we can adjust to 6 if you prefer. Seems we are still a work in progress!
Last edited by scott.becker on February 25th, 2021, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realm Cellars

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by scott.becker »

Jeff - be patient with us! Spring allocations and wish grants are always tight. Fall allocations and wish grants are more generous. Over time your allocations and wish grants will be tailored to what you want.

Matt - the only reason this thread is 3 pages is I'm too long-winded in my posts! 🤣
Realm Cellars

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by HoosJustinG »

scott.becker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:35 am Nicholas and Justin - call us at the winery 707-224-1910 and we can adjust to 6 if you prefer. Seems we are still a work in progress!
Just called - should have a message on your desk from me soon!

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by scott.becker »

HoosJustinG wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:51 am
scott.becker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:35 am Nicholas and Justin - call us at the winery 707-224-1910 and we can adjust to 6 if you prefer. Seems we are still a work in progress!
Sorry my note was meant for Justin Sarni regarding the inefficient shipping charges!
Realm Cellars

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by HoosJustinG »

scott.becker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:53 am
HoosJustinG wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:51 am
Sorry my note was meant for Justin Sarni regarding the inefficient shipping charges!
Damn! If there’s any chance you still wanna adjust me to 6 bottles of BTK, fire away! champagne.gif

Nicholas C

#149 Post by Nicholas C »

scott.becker wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:35 am Nicholas and Justin Sarni - call us at the winery 707-224-1910 and we can adjust to 6 if you prefer. Seems we are still a work in progress!
Thanks. Happy to take the wine. Will call though, perhaps I can combine with some library wines to fill up the shipment
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Matthew Khamlue

#150 Post by Matthew Khamlue »

Wished for TK. Didn’t get it. Maybe if I had ordered the Fidelio since I ordered everything else offered including Bourn. Oh well!

Return to “Wine Talk”