TN: 2008 Wittmann "Morstein" GG - the magic of aged Dry Riesling

2008 Wittmann “Morstein” GG

Oh la la……this is good. First, I am really impressed by the purity&precision of this aged GG. Then you discover the classic mineral power of MORSTEIN combined with a juicy fruit of quince and mirabelle. In addition the signature of the cool-climate vintage 2008 acidity……even better a balanced (!) acidity now. Also a remarkable „Feinheit“ finesse in the dry finish. Outstanding balance too. Finally, no hurry.

I am such happy, as the 2008 GGs were not easy to taste at release and the winemakers had a hard job to deal with the high acidity of the vintage. But I was always hopeful and confident that there are some outstanding GGs in the long run. Also a wonderful example how great a GG can age.

95/100

2 Likes

I had their 2006 GG recently and it blew me away. Probably could have held up another hundred years.

I love 08 GGs! Thanks for the note.

Is anyone even importing Wittmann into the USA anymore?

Yes. I purchased some 2019 Morstein here recently.

Loosen Bros ( Ernie Loosen)

Thanks. That explains the lack of availability. Loosen Bros has terrible distribution in my area.

David, did you come down for the last Theise Champagne tasting in NYC? A number of other wines were being poured, mostly Skurnik, but they had a few Wittmann bottlings there as well including 2017 Morstein GG. I was on my way out when I saw them on a side table unattended. That Morstein was double-take, I’ll-take-a-second-pour good.

I was there for the Champagne event, but did not see the side table(s). Laura and I spent a ton of time talking with the Champagne producers, and barely finished up that in the allotted time frame.

Could anyone comment on where the 2015 Morstein is in its evolution?

In general the 2015s are lovely to drink right now, but of course good years ahead.

I recommend to open a bottle.