TN: A memorable gathering

A MEMORABLE GATHERING - BRX American Bistro - Great Falls, VA (1/15/2021)

The most rewarding aspect of loving wine is the people. I have made so many friends from diverse backgrounds, just sharing a common passion for wine. A lot of the friendships have last decades.

We planned a small gathering to share a few great bottles of Burgundy. RJ had a different idea and decided to bring all the bottles, the piece de resistance being the 90 La Tache. He also added the 14 Lafon Montrachet and the 02 Meo Richebourg as the back up bottle. I gently suggested adding the 88 Krug Collection and also added the 1896 Port last minute.

This was a small gathering. I have known these guys for close to fifteen years. Along the way, we have gathered more than a couple hundred times, taken a few memorable wine trips to Europe, shared a lot of laughter and of course, drank memorable bottles. This occasion with very special bottles was RJ’s way of celebrating our friendship. The wines showed incredibly well and the 04 Lafon Montrachet was the best white wine of my life.

Krug Collection

• 1988 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection - France, Champagne
    Beautiful fully mature nose displaying subtle yet decadent yellow fruit, apricot preserve, baked apple, fresh apple juicy, brioche, crème brulee, sweet spices and honey. Fully integrated palate, very finely layered sweet yellow fruit, medium fine medium abundant mousse, warm and round, fluid and refined, medium acidity and subtle mineral, and a seamless long subtle sweet yellow fruit driven finish with honey and sweet spices at the end. My first experience with the 88 Collection. Perhaps not as fresh and energetic as the well cellared regular 88 Krug but showing beautiful harmony, complexity and elegance. Like a beautiful mature white wine but not white Burgundy/Chadonnay. It opens up beautifully with air, becoming harmonious, sweet and complex. I will need to revisit soon. (97 pts.)

Lafon Montrachet

• 2014 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Montrachet Grand Cru
    Incredibly elegant yet expressive nose displaying noble pure white fruit, pear, white peach, lemon curd, beeswax, light honey, sweet spices and crushed rock. Perfect harmony and balance, layers upon layers of concentrated white fruit, oily yet weightless a la Yquem, so elegant, pure, precise and energetic, perfect amount of acidity, unbelievably mineral and the never ending finish. It is the perfect expression of Le Montrachet, combining the finesse and elegance of Chevalier and the power and concentration of Batard. I have rated five wines 100pts, ’10 and ’12 Coche Corton Charlemagne, ’09 Coche Perrieres, twice, and ’08 DRC Montrachet. The 14 Lafon Montrachet is even better as the purity and elegance are mind boggling. The best white wine of my life. (100 pts.)

Gaja Costa Russi

• 2011 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Costa Russi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, licorice, tar, strong iron, baking spices, rose and mineral. Very good concentration, nicely layered pure black fruit, elegant and round, medium acidity and strong limestone mineral, noticeable fine tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. This is surprisingly elegant and classic, not showing Gaja power and masculinity. (95 pts.)

La Tache and Meo Richebourg

• 1990 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    Incredibly complex tertiary nose displaying decadent slightly dry black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, stewed tomato, soy, ash, strong sous bois, cinnamon, DRC stem, black truffle, Chinese medicinal herbs and crushed rock and rose mix. Perfectly harmonious palate, unbelievably layered decadent and ripe yet pure black fruit, fluid, detailed and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and a seamless long decadent black fruit driven finish with Chinese medicinal herb and soy at the end. This particular bottle is transforming to the next stage of development, i.e. the fruit has faded a bit more than the last bottle from Jan, 2019. Incredibly enjoyable showing and knowing that we are drinking one of the best La Taches doesn’t hurt. (98 pts.)
  • 2002 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Explosive nose displaying unbelievably rich yet pure red fruit with a hint of black, strawberry jam, fresh strawberry, a hint of black cherry, light caramel, a hint of sous bois, Vosne spice, light caramel, sweet spices, animal and limestone mineral. Exceptional concentration, incredibly layered sweet opulent red fruit, rich and opulent but also pure and finely detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet red fruit driven finish with Vosne spice at the end. Although drinking beautifully, the 02 Richebourg can easily improve for a decade or more as there is abundant fruit. (98 pts.)

Old Port

• 1896 Bourne Turner & Co Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    After more than a century, there is no red hue at all, displaying slightly cloudy deep golden color. Expressive incredibly complex nose displaying opulent dry yellow fruit, dry fig, dry apricot, orange marmalade, light caramel, honey almond, sous bois, sweet and spicy spices and crushed rock. Perfectly harmonious palate, layers upon layers of concentrated rich yellow fruit, intense yet fluid, precise and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, no noticeable tannins and the finish that never ends. This was a random lucky purchase, lucky to still own four more bottles, (99 pts.)

This was a truly memorable evening. My sincere gratitude goes to RJ. There was an extremely rare bourbon. I took a small pour home but have not had a chance to try. May be tonight.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Bravissimo !

Nice wines, photos and notes and most importantly, the emphasis on fellowship and meaningful lasting friendships that graces all of us in this wonderful world of wine.

Great notes Kevin, and fully agree on the fellowship of wine aspect. I can’t wait to get back at it. Interestingly, I have four of the wines (Krug, Lafon, Meo, La Tache), so one of our first lunches may be to replicate yours. A friend and I (Jon Favre) split a pristine 1990 DRC assortment last year, and since it has three La Tache we are looking forward to three visits to 90 LT heaven over the next couple of years. Thanks for the great write up as always.

I love when a TN starts with “After more than a century,…”

Sounds fantastic and thanks for sharing.

Amen!

Great work Kevin.

Deleted.

Wonderful, stuff. Kevin. Great notes, as always and some really special wines.

Awesome my friend! RJ is as generous as anyone I have ever met. Was the Wooki there? I am told my buddy Ken (you met him at my birthday party) was in contact with you.

Ridiculous. Sheer wonder. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on such a gathering.

The Wooki now officially joined AFWE, no more SQN king.

Lol. No way I was missing a lunch like this. Miss you Kelly and great notes Kevin. Dead on to my thoughts. I’m very fortunate to have such a great group of Misfit Toys that I call friends.

What about the Leroy Chambertin ???

I am literally salivating over your notes on the 2014 Lafon Montrachet. I want it immediately!!!

I dissuaded RJ from opening by mentioning the current auction price, i.e. more than the 90 La Tache.

I perfectly understand, Kevin … :slight_smile:
I loved La Tâche 1990 in the cellar, kindly offered by Bernard Noblet (the 99 was a jewel too).

What a memorable evening. The Lafon must have been truly amazing to stand out amongst such great wines.