TN: 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard

• 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/16/2021)
    I did not know (or had not been paying sufficient attention) until the 2018s were being released that Jamie was making a specific parcel wine from Bohan. Curiosity got the best of me, so I grabbed a few bottles. Huh. Wish I had grabbed a few more. Bohan had not previously done a lot for me, but this is really grabbing me. I enjoyed it on night one, but this note is from night two, and the wine is positively singing. Floral aromatics are just pouring out of the glass. The fruit is prominent but simultaneously reserved. Structure is at the same amplitude as the fruit, so balance for age is there. It’s layered, with herbal elements coming through from the mid-palate. Falstaff has been my favorite Kutch Pinot for a long time, but this could put up some stiff competition.

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting, was not aware of that specific block either, nor likewise paying attention; and Kutch is a fixture YOY. Bohan’s usually the first to go from any vintage for me. I hold on to Falstaff and McDougall for the long run usually. This now has my attention, especially if you believe it holds up to the bellwethers.

There’s a headstone in the middle of the block hence the graveyard designation.

As macabre as that is, just makes it more cool.

Thanks David. I know now what to open Monday!

I recommend a few hours in a decanter.

I just dialed up 3 of the 2017s. Likewise have glowing write-ups.

“From a single block in the Bohan Vineyard with more rocky soils (the vineyard is mostly loamy, goldridge soils),…”

Will need to start keeping these on my radar.

1 Like

The label is pretty cool as well…