TN: 2002 Dönnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Nahe)

• 2002 Dönnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (1/16/2021)
    If someone happens to ask what is the perfect wine pairing for sweet potato, spinach, caramelized onion and goat cheese quesadillas, tell them this wine. I had no idea this was going to work. I had pulled the wine because it was one of my wife’s favorites, rather than for any particular food matching. Turns out I made a great choice, as the spice and orange fruit tones were a perfect foil for the food. The wine and the food were both better together. As the wine warmed up the pairing continued to improve. We had the last glass after dinner, and it was even more expressive. Should have decanted it. There’s no danger in holding this wine longer, but to my taste it is in a great place now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the great note David. I am surprised it showed as well as it did, as everyone knows Donnhoff wines don’t age. rolleyes

On a more serious note, I really like his lineup in '02 and thanks for the update. I need to grab a Hermannshoehle Spatlese soon.

The 2002s are all fabulous. 2001s don’t suck either.

Thanks David.

Great note, and I also think I found a new favorite dish for the Mrs.

p.s. add a little cheddar or something else that melts well, or the quesadilla doesn’t stick together so well

1 Like

Even I have enjoyed this one in the past. All gone now.

1 Like

Thanks for the note David. I had the 2016 today (noticed your note on CellarTracker [cheers.gif] ), was my first Donnhoff and very enjoyable.