Two Burgundies as winnings from a FF League: what do I have? (Chavy, Parent)

One of the Fantasy Football leagues in which I participate uses booze as a buy-in. This year it was narrowed down to Bordeaux or Burgundy and at around $100 per bottle. I didn’t win but was close and ended up with the following two bottles, neither of which I’ve had. I’m a relative Burgundy novice, but I know enough. However, with these two producers and specific wines, there’s not a whole lot of data outside of a few TNs for the Parent on CellarTracker, and they’re inconsistent.

2012 Domaine Parent Pommard 1er Cru Les Épenots
2018 Jean-Louis Chavy Puligny-Montrachet

Any experience with these wines, even if not these vintages? Is the Parent ready to go now, or should I leave it? I’m pretty sure I’ll wait on the JL Chavy. Thanks in advance!

The Parent is a 20+ year wine. 15 if you want.
The Chavy village needs 5-7, or open immediately if you can’t wait.

*Edit - I’m referring to dates from vintage, not from today.

Parent is a (good, not great) domaine in Pommard, husband of AF. Gros. The wines are often a bit clumsy, not extremely elegant, but typical, Epenots is a top site, but needs time, better in 2025+.
Chavy is vg, but will also improve, a Village wine, drink now or later …
Good bottles though

Parent is a (good, not great) domaine in Pommard, husband of AF. Gros. The wines are often a bit clumsy, not extremely elegant, but typical, Epenots is a top site, but needs time, better in 2025+.
Chavy is vg, but will also improve, a Village wine, drink now or later …
Good bottles though

Awesome. Thanks, Chris and Robert. The entire 8-person league ante’d the following in total, so it’s a fun league for sure.

2016 Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac
2014 Chateau Malescot St. Exupery
2 x 2012 Domaine Parent Pommard 1er Cru Les Epenots
2015 Chateau Les Carmes Haut Brion Pessac-Leognan
2013 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault
2014 Chateau Brane-Cantenac Margaux
2018 Jean-Louis Chavy Puligny-Montrachet

looks like you came out really well in this!

Many will say age the wines and I would generally agree with them. But, I also kinda feel that since you don’t have much experience with them that you may as well crack into them and just enjoy for what they are. So, I’ll say: split the difference. TBH, it probably isn’t a bad idea to stash the Parent for a few years since some of the aging has been done for you and open up the Chavy PM. The few 18 whites that I’ve had do have baby fat on them right now and could probably use a few more years, but with Premox and all of that, just crack into it and plan an evening around it.

I like it, Keith, good thought. I’ll probably at least wait until I can drink the Chavy with the other guys in the league, as we’re all winos. Do village level white Burgs go dumb/dormant, generally speaking? I don’t want to skip that exuberant youth before enjoyable adolescent stage by cracking it in a totally shut down/dumb phase. I doubt they do, but I should ask.

The Chavy should drink fine now, especially since it’s a village. I’d maybe give it a bit of air, but 18 is not a reticent vintage.

These wines are $100 per bottle??? [wow.gif]

champagne.gif It was an all-in buy-in cost and with sales tax in this area over 10%, they’re all around mid-$80s to a bit more before taxes. But, yes, they were all around that mark.