2017 Cooper Wells Pinot Noir, Santa Cruz Mountains

If you like your Pinot Noir with significant color, body and weight, you will avoid this.

Surprisingly light color, especially for California, even Santa Cruz Mountains. At barely three years, some bricking at the rim. This is an observation, not remotely a complaint.

The aromas are open, with light red fruit, cherry, strawberry and even some grape (of all things!). There are also spicy and earthy hints; neither intense nor profound, the nose is both intriguing and inviting.
The palate is light in body, almost feathery. This is zingy yet polite. The flavors are more intense than the aromas, but lacy and almost ethereal. If I had known the profile, I might have picked something with more heft for the local lamb chops, but this is a beguiling glass. Rated 90.5, drink now.

Dan Kravitz

Interesting. Never heard of them or had their wines. will have to try one

A friend of mine brought one over a few weeks ago. It was pleasant and light on its feet. I think he got it at Costco.

Wow…nice note Dan! Reminds me of McHenry. I’m in for a case. Only $18/btl plus free shipping!

1 Like

I’ve only had McHenry once… from memory, a more intense wine, but also very hard to find and a lot more expensive.

Dan Kravitz