UPS Has Gone Berserko...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

UPS Has Gone Berserko...

#1 Post by TomHill »

Usually I have little problem w/ UPS delivery's. My local guy, Eric, is absolutely the best.
Back in late Nov, I ordered a case from Jonathan at Cedarville. After a few days, it wound up in Monroe Township NJ. Where it has sat "In Transit" ever since.
Early last week, Jonathan sent me a replacement case. Scheduled for delivery last Fri. Then rescheduled for tomorrow/Wed. When you look at the tracking, still scheduled for delivery tomorrow but indicated to be "In Transit" today ( and last two days) back in Secaucus NJ. And it will be here tomorrow?? Yeah... sure! We'll find out tomorrow!
Why the heck is NJ such a black hole for my wine??
When I try to contact UPS, I get some AI software that gives me a BS answer. Can't seem to get ahold of a human bean.
OTOH, my DryCreekVnyd shipment arrived ystrday in two day's time.
Seems pretty crazy w/ UPS.
Tom

R@f@el A.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: UPS Has Gone Berserko...

#2 Post by R@f@el A. »

Tom, I've also had a few crazy experiences with UPS recently. I would imagine they are related to the pandemic. My craziest story so far...I ordered some wine from a Napa winery last summer. It was shipped in early December by 2 day air. Two days later, I get an email from UPS saying it was delivered, but no package was delivered to my house. I contacted the winery and, to their credit, they ship replacement bottles to my work address the following week. The replacement bottles arrive without incident. Then, last weekend, I see a large package outside the front gate of my house and realize UPS had finally delivered the original package that was shipped 2 DAY AIR in early December, except it arrived more than 5 weeks after it was shipped!!! Who knows where it's been the entire time. I contacted the winery and asked it they wanted me to return the bottles to them, but I haven't heard back...
@guil@r

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen »

TomHill wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm Usually I have little problem w/ UPS delivery's. My local guy, Eric, is absolutely the best.
Back in late Nov, I ordered a case from Jonathan at Cedarville. After a few days, it wound up in Monroe Township NJ. Where it has sat "In Transit" ever since.
Early last week, Jonathan sent me a replacement case. Scheduled for delivery last Fri. Then rescheduled for tomorrow/Wed. When you look at the tracking, still scheduled for delivery tomorrow but indicated to be "In Transit" today ( and last two days) back in Secaucus NJ. And it will be here tomorrow?? Yeah... sure! We'll find out tomorrow!
When I try to contact UPS, I get some AI software that gives me a BS answer. Can't seem to get ahold of a human bean.
Tom
I think they've been unable to keep up with the huge pandemic-related increase in demand. I've had multiple packages (FedEx too) that have taken much longer than expected and gone on circuitous routes. And a small package I mailed (USPS) to a fellow berserker on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving arrived yesterday, and he lives 38 miles away!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#4 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Neal.Mollen wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:18 pm And a small package I mailed (USPS) to a fellow berserker on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving arrived yesterday, and he lives 38 miles away!
We did a rush job for a client involved with a pending real estate transaction in early December. Emailed a PDF and mailed a hard copy (USPS) overnight on 12/5. He received it yesterday. 20 miles....38 days, approx 1/4 pound.

A box turtle averages 0.15 mph, if it walked 8 hours/day....it would've beat the package.

RT

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

All the carriers (please don’t ask me about DHL international shipping) have struggled.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by larry schaffer »

Yep, every shipping company, including USPS, is being 'challenged' these days with a combination of the sheer number of packages they are dealing with and a lack of infrastructure to be able to handle it. You name em - UPS, Fed Ex, GSO, etc - they're all receiving 'failing grades' over the past two months.

The thing that kills me is that lack of automated customer service - if a package is going to be late, fine - but why isn't your online tracking info correct? And in the case of many of these, why are you saying you're attempting deliveries when the recipient says that they were home all day and there was no attempt?

Uggggggghhhhhh
larry schaffer
tercero wines

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by brigcampbell »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:00 pm All the carriers (please don’t ask me about DHL international shipping) have struggled.

This. I had an entire pallet missing by UPS. The story turns out they did a trailer swap somewhere and they drove away leaving my pallet on the ground. It just sat there for two weeks until someone say "why is that there?".

Ironically, we use GLS for shipments in the west coast and they've been fairly good. GLS was GSO... They were purchased and moving into the regular package delivery business, they have a few bugs to work out, but we're saving a ton especially when shipping odd sizes that required dimensional pricing. GLS doesn't do dimensional, at least until very soon, so we were shipping just by weight. It was great, we'd ship an 8' long 12x12" box to Washington and they'd charge us $8.50. LOL

International is really a problem because lots of companies use commercial airlines for transportation. There aren't that many commercial flights between the US-EU now so I'll track large shipments that will sit in London for a week or more waiting to get on a plane.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mike Evans »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:18 pm And a small package I mailed (USPS) to a fellow berserker on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving arrived yesterday, and he lives 38 miles away!
We did a rush job for a client involved with a pending real estate transaction in early December. Emailed a PDF and mailed a hard copy (USPS) overnight on 12/5. He received it yesterday. 20 miles....38 days, approx 1/4 pound.

A box turtle averages 0.15 mph, if it walked 8 hours/day....it would've beat the package.

RT
Wow, even worse USPS performance than I’ve had. I mailed three checks for local delivery on 12/21. One arrived on 1/4, one on 1/6, and the last one, to a P.O. box at the exact same branch that I mailed it from, on 1/11. It took 20 days to get it into a box at the starting point, maybe 25 feet from where I dropped it off?

Aleks V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Aleks V »

I’ve had a lot of the problems mentioned in this thread, and would not that one of the big issues seems to be that both FedEx and UPS have added contract drivers (and one would assume warehouse workers as well). In our neighborhood most FedEx and UPS packaged are delivered via Penske truck and the drivers only wear uniforms about 1/3 of the time. My usual UPS and FedEx guys are great but the contractors are a step down in quality and are much more likely to mismark packages as delivered.

USPS has been a whole separate mess.
Oy-V3y

R. Serafin

#10 Post by R. Serafin »

Tom

I actually live in Monroe Township, NJ and we don’t have a UPS warehouse in our town, so that’s a long time to be “in transit”!!!

Perhaps a driver lives in town and is starting his own cellar.
R o b

Markus S

#11 Post by Markus S »

Aleks V wrote: January 12th, 2021, 5:11 pm I’ve had a lot of the problems mentioned in this thread, and would not that one of the big issues seems to be that both FedEx and UPS have added contract drivers (and one would assume warehouse workers as well). ...
I don't think it's simply the drivers. A lot of things added up to cause this: slowing down the Postal Service from the top under directive; 30-40% increases in nationwide package movement due to the pandemic; many absences of employees out from Covid exposure or precautions. We have always had contract drivers for home delivery for FedEx and no problems with them, but they have many more deliveries to make.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mattstolz »

tom: this might be a little bit of a "did you remember to turn it on first" question: but did you verify that they are shipping to the correct address? not sure why it would still say "in transit" but might be worth verifying?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Michael Martin »

FedEx is batting 100% for me. UPS just the opposite. They initiated returns to wineries without my consent and even UPS doesn’t know why. I asked for a shipment to be held at the terminal for pick up that they then left at my house. They are a mess.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Neal.Mollen »

I had a fedex package sent 2d day delivery that took 10 days and the online tracking page never changed from "preparing to ship." Address was correct

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Mattstolz wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:32 pm tom: this might be a little bit of a "did you remember to turn it on first" question: but did you verify that they are shipping to the correct address? not sure why it would still say "in transit" but might be worth verifying?
Thinking the same thing OR there is a bug in the label print job for the bullseye.
Cheers,
Paul

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Update...

#16 Post by TomHill »

The 2'nd package is no longer in Secaucus NJ but now "In Transit" also in Monroe Township NJ w/ its brother.
Scheduled for delivery in LosAlamos today!!
Yeah...sure!
Tom

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by MikeL238 »

Let us know what happens Tom, we are rooting for you!

P.S. I have a wine package that's "Out for Delivery" by UPS today...fingers crossed.
Mike Leigh

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Bob W »

So if I’m getting the gist, basically now all shipping services are as bad as OnTrac. :)
W i n d e l

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

R. Serafin wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:26 pm Tom

I actually live in Monroe Township, NJ and we don’t have a UPS warehouse in our town, so that’s a long time to be “in transit”!!!

Perhaps a driver lives in town and is starting his own cellar.
“Are there two Monroe townships in NJ?
If you're in one of New Jersey's duplicate townships — either of the two Monroe Townships or five Washington Townships.”
I’m sure there is a UPS warehouse in adjacent South Brunswick or Cranberry that may have a Monroe Township address.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

I've had good luck with UPS and FedEx of late. Some packages coming sooner than I expected.

Then there is USPS. Sent my Mom's xmas gift ~3 weeks before holiday, and it just arrived there yesterday. Tracking and insurance gave some comfort but yup, 5 weeks.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by EAScrog »

Bob W wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:07 am So if I’m getting the gist, basically now all shipping services are as bad as OnTrac. :)
But the others don't use those beater white vans that On-Trac does.

In our area, UPS has a big facility in Fairfield, and IIRC, most shipments out of the Napa Sonoma area route out of these. Since COVID, sometimes packages sit there for weeks. A present I ordered in early November just arrived on my doorstep yesterday after taking a long vacation in Fairfield. I suppose at this point it can be a valentine's day gift- wrapped in Christmas paper
Last edited by EAScrog on January 13th, 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e l i z a B e t h

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Mark Y »

Fedex package..
Released at 6am yesterday... in PARIS
11pm (last night paris time) clears export customs at Charles De Gaulle
8pm (last night memphis time) arrives in Mempthis
1am clears import customs

4am this morning it leaves Memphis
6:30am, arrives Seattle
8am on truck for delivery

It's astonishing when it works, how quickly they can move stuff around the globe. It did cost a pretty penny for the shipping, but damn if that ain't fast..
Y.e.

S. Rash

#23 Post by S. Rash »

I have absolutely loved GSO of late. My shipment left K&L Monday afternoon in CA and arrived at my doorstop shortly before noon on Tuesday in Las Vegas. They have been very reliable throughout the pandemic
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Matt Anderson

#24 Post by Matt Anderson »

It's not just wine. I just bought a condo in Naples, FL. I'm closing today actually. It's a brand new turnkey condo, but I wanted to replace the toilet that was in my master bathroom. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Toto toilets, but I wanted one of those. In any event, I ordered one from a local company here in Naples and he said that they come from Michigan and they get sent out within 24 hours. I ordered the toilet on December 30th and it was supposed to go right to my condo so they could install it. I figured because of the holiday a few extra days would get added, but it just showed up yesterday. The thing went from Michigan to South Carolina, to Georgia, to Orlando, to Fort Meyers, which is where their sorting center is I guess.

Ian Dorin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Ian Dorin »

It's my understanding that FedEx and UPS are handling a volume of packages right now that they were expecting between 2025 and 2030, based on growth of internet sales and so on. So to say they are behind on infrastructure would be a vast understatement.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Richard Albert

#26 Post by Richard Albert »

Delayed deliveries, banged up boxes and lack of timely and accurate tracking data now regular and experienced with FedEx and UPS.
Missing the good old days--was that just a year ago?
ITB

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by cjsavino »

We had one shipped from Napa before Christmas via FedEx, gets to NJ, sits in Newark for two days, goes to Indianapolis and then back to Newark for delivery
Chris

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Update....

#28 Post by TomHill »

My UPS tracking today/Thurs says "Out For Delivery"....in Monroe Township, NJ !!
Feel for that driver....he's gonna have to drive at WarpSpeed 10 to get it here to LosAlamos today.
Tom

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Update....

#29 Post by cjsavino »

TomHill wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:49 am My UPS tracking today/Thurs says "Out For Delivery"....in Monroe Township, NJ !!
Feel for that driver....he's gonna have to drive at WarpSpeed 10 to get it here to LosAlamos today.
Tom
Re-route to my house in NJ.
Chris

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mike R »

I fortunately haven't had any issues, other than a snarky UPS guy every time wine is delivered (some variant of "you guys must be REALLY thirsty!" or "what do you do with all this wine I bring you?" literally every time he drops off a package).
... 0 p 3 r

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Adam Frisch »

It's FedEx, too. Shipped 2 cases to a restaurant. They're twinned packages, one master shipment, i.e. should never be separated. One gets delivered swiftly, the other one goes on a trip around NorCal, sits in a warehouse for over month only to finally get returned as "unable to deliver". I spoke to restaurant owner he said "we're here every day, nobody has even attempted". Guess who gets to et the shipping? [swearing.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by TomHill »

So I just talked to a Service Rep (a real person). She advises me the package in Monroe Township NJ is out for delivery and will be delivered today
to me in White Rock NM. Uhhhh.....sure!! And her accent was so thick I could barely understand her.
The UPS shipping saga continues.
Tom

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by MikeL238 »

TomHill wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:16 am So I just talked to a Service Rep (a real person). She advises me the package in Monroe Township NJ is out for delivery and will be delivered today
to me in White Rock NM. Uhhhh.....sure!! And her accent was so thick I could barely understand her.
Tom
Jesus... [soap.gif]
Mike Leigh

Markus S

#34 Post by Markus S »

TomHill wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:16 am So I just talked to a Service Rep (a real person). She advises me the package in Monroe Township NJ is out for delivery and will be delivered today
Tom
You lucky sod: Speedy Gonzalez himself will speedily transit the time zones to deliver your precious cargo!
I don't think Mr. Zip Image himself could be faster!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Gabe Berk

#35 Post by Gabe Berk »

Adam Frisch wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:43 am It's FedEx, too. Shipped 2 cases to a restaurant. They're twinned packages, one master shipment, i.e. should never be separated. One gets delivered swiftly, the other one goes on a trip around NorCal, sits in a warehouse for over month only to finally get returned as "unable to deliver". I spoke to restaurant owner he said "we're here every day, nobody has even attempted". Guess who gets to et the shipping? [swearing.gif]
What happens to your returned wine that sits in a warehouse for over a month?

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#36 Post by Adam Frisch »

Gabe Berk wrote: January 14th, 2021, 12:41 pm
Adam Frisch wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:43 am It's FedEx, too. Shipped 2 cases to a restaurant. They're twinned packages, one master shipment, i.e. should never be separated. One gets delivered swiftly, the other one goes on a trip around NorCal, sits in a warehouse for over month only to finally get returned as "unable to deliver". I spoke to restaurant owner he said "we're here every day, nobody has even attempted". Guess who gets to et the shipping? [swearing.gif]
What happens to your returned wine that sits in a warehouse for over a month?
In the winter time, I'm not too worried about re-circling them into the eco system after some rest, but in summer I would have to replace them.
Last edited by Adam Frisch on January 15th, 2021, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by lleichtman »

TomHill wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:05 pm Usually I have little problem w/ UPS delivery's. My local guy, Eric, is absolutely the best.
Tom
Tom, my wine shipments through UPS are off. What should have come 2nd day air took 2 weeks to deliver with no explanation from UPS. These came from an Oregon winery that is always spot on in delivery.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Christine Courtney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Christine Courtney »

Don't even get me started on UPS/FedEx!! I find FedEx more reliable than UPS, but I have had problems with both companies, whether it is wine or other merchandise. A 2-Day overnight took over 2 weeks, at an additional cost, which UPS said "We are not honoring the guaranteed timeframe and not refunding due to the pandemic" to which I say, then don't charge extra, just make it all Ground! I think if you pay extra in reliance of a specific timeframe and they breach on their end, then there are damages on their side, to which they should refund, pandemic or not, but what do I know, I am just a nurse, lol! Anyway, I have had zero and I mean zero problems with GSO/GLS. I choose them everytime it is available, usually for less than Ground with the other 2 companies.
"I can certainly see you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between bordeaux and claret" John Cleese-Fawlty Towers

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen »

on the other hand, a package I sent UPS on Tuesday by regular delivery arrived in NC yesterday. Just can never tell

Joseph Zamrin

#40 Post by Joseph Zamrin »

One hack that I've used with great success on stuck shipments. Reroute to an OnSite, UPS store or carrier service hub. I imagine in such cases, someone must physically locate and relabel the package. Works nearly every time.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Jay Miller »

On the USPS side of things I just got the catalog for Heritage Auctions December 11, 2020 auction in the mail today.

Looks like there were some nice lots...
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Greg Gardner »

I’ve generally found UPS to be pretty reliable. With FedEx, if I haven’t gotten the delivery by 2:30-3:00 pm, it ain’t coming that day, even if it still says ‘out for delivery’

Evan Pontoriero

#43 Post by Evan Pontoriero »

UPS currently the worst. We've now had packages returned from places that we are licensed in @$150 a pop for the return with no explanation why they returned. Packages gone missing, packages delayed extensively, no reach out from local rep. My head explodes. FedEx tops currently. GSO good locally though they do are not really great about dealing with difficult locations with gates or apartment buildings where they have to think.
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by David Glasser »

Tom
Well, Tom, if it shows a stop at the International Space Station, then you’ve got a story.

BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by BobMilton »

Just discovered that Fedex drivers mark packages as delivered before they actually deliver them. Got a notice that my wine was delivered and said what? Looked at the front door and no wine. Called the winery and they said they were aware the drivers were doing this. The wine did show up but not a nice way to do business.

Return to “Wine Talk”