Outpost Pre-Release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alex G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Outpost Pre-Release

#1 Post by Alex G »

You guys buying?

The Howell Mountain used to be a strong value. It was $75 or $80 when I started buying it.

Prices are ⬆️

2018 Outpost True Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - $175 (JD 97)
2018 Outpost True Vineyard Immigrant - $125 (JD 97)
2018 Outpost Estate Cabernet Sauvignon - $108 (JD 96)
Alex Gold

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Outpost Pre-Release

#2 Post by Jeff_M. »

Ouch those are healthy price increases. Is this price increase from the new owners or from 2020 being lost?

I will be passing.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by NickRut »

Are the allocations open yet? Someone just told me they were able to purchase. I haven't even received my email yet.
Rutkowski

Alex G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Alex G »

NickRut wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:03 am Are the allocations open yet? Someone just told me they were able to purchase. I haven't even received my email yet.
Looks to be their first pre-release...

“Given your continued support of Outpost Wines, we are pleased to offer you the rare opportunity to gain access to the wines before our official release date of Tuesday, January 19th.“
Alex Gold

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by NickRut »

Well that’s fancy. Thanks for letting me know. If anyone is passing please PM me. Would love to be able to grab some.
Rutkowski

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Webber »

Like the wines, but, with the sale, easy pass.

Alex G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Alex G »

John Webber wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:26 am Like the wines, but, with the sale, easy pass.
Kind of feeling this way too. But they’re 2018s, and will be quite good, and my vertical would be interrupted blah blah blah. I am exactly the prey!

If I buy it won’t be much...
Alex Gold

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Matt A »

Still good juice. TRB still at the helm. In.
Price increase. (Even from last August)

True: $150- - -$175
Immigrant $115- - -$125
Estate $95- - -$108
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said “I need a caretaker.”
So God made a Farmer.
-Paul Harvey

Morgan S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Morgan S »

Interesting I already got the 2018 true and estate back in October was still 150 and 95.
S i n g

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Andrew Demaree »

I’m curious if anyone has tasted these. In Galloni’s recent review of the 2018 Howell Mountain cab, he noted it was “marred by distracting smoke notes”, “very hard to taste”, and gave it 79 points. Dunnuck clearly saw things differently.

Aleks V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Aleks V »

Andrew Demaree wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:29 pm I’m curious if anyone has tasted these. In Galloni’s recent review of the 2018 Howell Mountain cab, he noted it was “marred by distracting smoke notes”, “very hard to taste”, and gave it 79 points. Dunnuck clearly saw things differently.
I’ve noticed this discrepancy between AG and JD a couple of times, most notably the 2017 Bevan Ontogeny, which JD loved and I think AG gave an 80 and said was near undrinkable. I liked the Ontogeny, though not as much as JD did. Odd that they are so out of whack sometimes.
Oy-V3y

JosephW

#12 Post by JosephW »

My first offer of Outpost so I’m considering ordering the Immigrant in particular based on what I read on the forum.

Would someone explain why the sale of Outpost is bad? Is it the price increase or an expected decline in quality for some reason? Both?
- Joseph Wilk

David Kim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by David Kim »

JosephW wrote: January 12th, 2021, 8:08 pm My first offer of Outpost so I’m considering ordering the Immigrant in particular based on what I read on the forum.

Would someone explain why the sale of Outpost is bad? Is it the price increase or an expected decline in quality for some reason? Both?
It's nothing bad and in MOST cases doesn't impact the wine. As mentioned above, TRB is still the winemaker. Given the huge number of wineries out there and limited pocketbooks, it's just based on personal preference of many WBs to support family run operations where they can rather than ones that owned by corporates and investors. Not saying its true in every case, but often the family run ones are in it out of passion rather than pure financial reward, have smaller marketing budgets, fewer distribution channels, etc. so buying from them can be meaningful to both parties.

If you like TRBs wines and want to support him and Frank (the prior owner of Outpost) then buy Mending Wall, which is the winery they co-own! Their wines are fantastic and pricing is more reasonable.

Been a buyer for a few years but really on the fence with this outpost release... True Vyd cab went from $135 prior to the sale to $150 and now $175.

Return to “Wine Talk”