TNs: "It's Freisa out there!" (brief/uninteresting)

A nod to Cheese Master Marshall Manning [cheers.gif]

1. 2019 La Miraja Freisa d’Asti. Marshall recommended this one. This was really an enjoyable wine, both easy to drink and with plenty to hold one’s interest. Light and subtle, but with nice layered complexity. Bright red fruit (strawberry, of course) over a spicy layer of pepper and crushed stone. Great for drinking right now, I don’t see any need to age it.

2. 2017 Azienda Agricola 499 Freisa (Langhe) This is a fairly new project by the winemaker at Castello di Verduno and a cellar hand from Brovia. 499 signifies the vineyard altitude in meters. This was also a really nice wine, but it was all around bigger, darker, and more tannic. It too had a nice spicy profile though its weight was more like a Rhone wine. I liked this wine very much by itself, but when following the La Miraja it wasn’t as inviting. I think this one could age and improve for a few years or more.

Both wines are in the $19-22 range, good QPR, and easy competitors to a Nebbiolo or Barbera in the same price range.

I try to eat my weight in cheese every year. Unfortunately that means the target also grows each year.

Glad you liked the La Miraja, all of their wines that I’ve tried are nice.

Wouldn’t the (brief/uninteresting) be a shout out to TomHill?