TN: 2017 Pierre Gonon Saint-Joseph

I think the keyword here is “concentrated”; the fruit quality is dense, but there’s a core of savouriness, olive tapenade, crushed rose petal, and soft and broad blue and purple, even plummy - but not jammy - fruits. The structure itself is elegant, with powdery, dusty tannins rather than jagged or harsh ones. Linear and fresh but, again, tightly compacted and focused without being closed per se. This obviously has tons of mileage and potential but is surprisingly open and generous now, with classic Northern Rhône character. Delicious.

1 Like

Thanks for the note, Sean. I usually like my northern rhone after 5 years and this sounds like it would blossom nicely with a bit more time. Does LCBO import cellar releases or back vintages from time to time?

Thanks for the early visit; I tend not to open n. Rhone early, although I do enjoy young cdp a bit.

Gonon is generally only available through the agent in Ontario. I don’t recall the last time it was offered at the LCBO.

I just saw 2006 VV listed for $1,199 at Flatiron Wines in NY. I had to do a doubletake. This is getting out of hand.

https://nyc.flatiron-wines.com/products/copy-of-pierre-gonon-st-joseph-vieilles-vignes-2006

Normally I would have stashed this for awhile but I read some intriguing notes on CT and had a really nice dinner that was well-suited, so it seemed appropriate. If you’ve got multiples, it might be fun to pop one, but certainly no rush.

Definitely not! I picked this up at a restaurant doing a cellar sale - the only way to get it is to buy the current release from the importer.

You can have my bottle for $1,198. :wink:

1 Like

What a bargain!! [rofl.gif]

You’re going the wrong way, you need one more vote to win.

But my place of sale is Connecticut, not Georgia! :wink:

It’s really great, though! Seriously.

Take that, Gonon. [cheers.gif]
IMG_2521 2.PNG.jpg

1 Like

It is great. Only five or six people in the world I would drink it with.

the problem is with bottles like the VV is can I really enjoy it and will it be worth the $1K ?

Never put Alturas and Gonon in the same sentence, but I did want some 19 Alturas anyway. Kelley’s approval can’t hurt!

Hopefully during Berserker’s Day?! [wow.gif]

Well, for those of us who’ve tasted them together blind, they are in good company together.

Got the 2019 halcon release letter just now. Wonder if I should purchase them now or wait and see till the 27th?

I’m expecting a similar BD deal to last year (assorted mix of 2019s), so depending on what you want, it could be worth waiting! I just want Alturas, but I’m down to try a few others. [cheers.gif]

I opened the 2007 Gonon last night. I believe it was my last bottle, bought on release. It was good, not as awesome as I had hoped. Looking over my past tasting notes (my last bottle was five years ago), it was more compelling in the past. I should have opened it sooner or, frankly, sold it.