I'm stunned I hadn't heard of Accendo Cellars

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm stunned I hadn't heard of Accendo Cellars

#1 Post by Len Stevens »

So I recognize that by no means am I a "know it all", but until reading Galloni's Vinous, I was not familiar with this winery. I'm shocked, but happy to have found it. Now I have an 1100 bottle cellar, was a wine bar owner, and was fortunate enough to pass level III of the MS, but no knowledge of this place! I am a huge fan of Araujo, but had not heard of what the family was doing since the sale. Now I don't play at this price point often, but I must try. I do respect Galloni's palate, though I do struggle with a 100 point wines, but I must try. I signed up for the mailing list. Anyone familiar? Tried? No how long the wait is on the list? I'm intrigued. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS Anyone have any they will sell?

Ian S

Re: I'm stunned I hadn't heard of Accendo Cellars

#2 Post by Ian S »

Accendo is better than Descendo, correct? [snort.gif]
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3 Post by c fu »

Araujo sold their winery and then created accendo
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by alan weinberg »

Ian S wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:58 am Accendo is better than Descendo, correct? [snort.gif]
but not as good as Transcendo.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brandon R »

I signed up before the first release out of curiosity after reading about it somewhere (I think in an article on Vinous). I should've known better because, when the offer came, it was an Araujo-priced wine and I passed. Quickly.
B. Redman

Benjamin Hand

#6 Post by Benjamin Hand »

Doug Shafer did a recent episode of his podcast "The Taste" with Jaime Araujo, where they discuss Accendo quite a bit.

https://shafervineyards.com/podcast/

P Sepsas

#7 Post by P Sepsas »

Len Stevens wrote: January 11th, 2021, 5:24 am So I recognize that by no means am I a "know it all", but until reading Galloni's Vinous, I was not familiar with this winery. I'm shocked, but happy to have found it. Now I have an 1100 bottle cellar, was a wine bar owner, and was fortunate enough to pass level III of the MS, but no knowledge of this place! I am a huge fan of Araujo, but had not heard of what the family was doing since the sale. Now I don't play at this price point often, but I must try. I do respect Galloni's palate, though I do struggle with a 100 point wines, but I must try. I signed up for the mailing list. Anyone familiar? Tried? No how long the wait is on the list? I'm intrigued. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS Anyone have any they will sell?
Have had many of their wines and the SB is truly stunning as well. Mikael Tigrett on the private sales is lovely, I am not sure if the waiting list is long but if he can he will accommodate your request.
Panos Sepsas

Rodrigo F.

#8 Post by Rodrigo F. »

Len - happy to introduce you to Mikael Tigrett and send him a note introducing you. I'm sure he will be able to accommodate something. Have had the '15 and '16 and they are incredible. Nigel Kinsman and Francoise are doing great things there!
F l o r e s

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

Don't forget that the truly outstanding component of the Araujo wines was the Eisele Vineyard. Yes, Bart and Daphne took care of that vineyard - it wanted for nothing. But I, for one, feel that wine is made in the vineyard. Not sure what pedigree the Accendo label has for the vineyard/vineyards they source from. Maybe someone more in the know has the answer to this, but as for vineyards, it does not get much better than the famed Eisele Vineyard (which Latour now owns).
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

MTigrett

#10 Post by MTigrett »

Rodrigo and Panagiotis - great to see you guys on here! I've always dabbled, but given the number of recent sign-ups citing WineBerserkers as the source, I figured I should probably check in. I've touched based with Len and we are going to get him set up with an allocation.

I think we can all agree 2020 has been an...interesting year. For Accendo, it meant virtually no tastings and a fraction of the premise sales we projected (we did very little off premise pre-COVID). That being said, we have allocations available that were held for the hospitality house and restaurants. I'll reach out to those who signed and listed WineBeserkers as the source to extend an offer on our current release vintages of Cabernet and Sauvignon Blanc. With that purchase, it would also take you from "Wait List" to "Active Member" meaning your offer on the 2018 Cab would be June vs. October.

As always - appreciate the support.

Mikael T.
M i k a e l - ITB

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by larry schaffer »

Curious what the pricing is on these wines - from their SB to their cabs and proprietary blends. Anyone?

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

MTigrett

#12 Post by MTigrett »

larry schaffer wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:27 pm Curious what the pricing is on these wines - from their SB to their cabs and proprietary blends. Anyone?

Cheers
SB: $390 per six pack
CS: $1080 per three pack
M i k a e l - ITB

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Max S. »

larry schaffer wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:27 pm Curious what the pricing is on these wines - from their SB to their cabs and proprietary blends. Anyone?

Cheers
WS has their cab sauv ranging from $200-400, primarily in the 275-350 range.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by jordan jacobs »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:24 pm Don't forget that the truly outstanding component of the Araujo wines was the Eisele Vineyard. Yes, Bart and Daphne took care of that vineyard - it wanted for nothing. But I, for one, feel that wine is made in the vineyard. Not sure what pedigree the Accendo label has for the vineyard/vineyards they source from. Maybe someone more in the know has the answer to this, but as for vineyards, it does not get much better than the famed Eisele Vineyard (which Latour now owns).
Exactly. While I feel the post harvest work is important, the fruit is the primary factor and you are right, the Eisele vineyard is amongst the best plots in the entire new world.

Mark Livingston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mark Livingston »

Brandon R wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:01 am I signed up before the first release out of curiosity after reading about it somewhere (I think in an article on Vinous). I should've known better because, when the offer came, it was an Araujo-priced wine and I passed. Quickly.
Did the same thing

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by larry schaffer »

MTigrett wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Cheers
Thanks - and by the way, you should add 'ITB' in your signature line.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

MTigrett

#17 Post by MTigrett »

larry schaffer wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:21 pm
MTigrett wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Cheers
Thanks - and by the way, you should add 'ITB' in your signature line.

Cheers.
Thanks, Larry - Does that mean, "In the Business"? ...new to this!
...adding now.

Cheers.
M i k a e l - ITB

Mike Van1

#18 Post by Mike Van1 »

I’ve heard of Accendo as my wife and I have been to the Wheeler Farm custom crush facility our last two visits to Napa, also owned by the Araujos, to do tastings with Vice Versa and TOR which are made there. Very nice place to visit right off of Zinfandel Ln. Saw all the Accendo barrels in the barrel room along with TOR, Vice Versa, and at the time Arrow & Branch. Haven’t tried Accendo yet but it’s on my list.
V-one

Markus S

#19 Post by Markus S »

Not too stunned I hadn't heard of it, as it is Cali cab, something I really do not drink.
But how to pronounce it?

ACK-sen-doh
A-CHEN-doh
Ass-sen-doh
$ _ € ® e . k @

Chris Atkins

#20 Post by Chris Atkins »

Ah-I-No-Thing so.

$1,080 for a three pack is kinda ridiculous!

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Mel Knox »

Nobody should feel bad they haven't heard of Accendo. There are so many new wineries.

Transcendo yes...but remember that one should refer to the winery as 'they'.
ITB

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Adam Frisch »

I read they bought and did up a winery with both a big custom crush facility as well as a restaurant and tasting room. No expense spared on the facility or equipment. Looks amazing. I mean, have you guys checked the price for an optical sorter?

Apparently heard they had investors to the tune of $35Million, so you can see they might need some recouping on the sales side.... [wink.gif]
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Len Stevens »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:07 pm Len - happy to introduce you to Mikael Tigrett and send him a note introducing you. I'm sure he will be able to accommodate something. Have had the '15 and '16 and they are incredible. Nigel Kinsman and Francoise are doing great things there!

Mikael did indeed reach out and what a class act! He is a perfect fit for the job...and he hooked me up! Just reason 3426 that I love this site. Thank you every one!!!

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by scott.becker »

Nice to see some buzz for Accendo Cellars as I think it’s well deserved. Thought I would add a little color commentary for those who are interested.

In full transparency, I feel lucky to consider Bart Araujo a friend and mentor. I remember walking the Eisele Vineyard with Bart somewhere in the mid-2000’s and he said something I will never forget. In response to a question I asked about legacy, he said simply, “Scott, this land was here before me and it will be here after me. I’m just passing through.” For those who know Bart, he can say a lot with only a few words.

I realized then how important the notion of stewardship was to Bart, and to the broader Napa Valley as a whole. Eisele was certainly known before the Araujo’s purchased it. For those who want to drink unicorn wines, look for the 71 Ridge Eisele or any of the Phelps Eisele wines from the 70’s and 80’s. But I would argue it was really Bart and Daphne and the rest of the Araujo team that enabled the site to reach its full potential. They orchestrated a thoughtful replant, introduced biodynamic farming, and brought a level of precision and focus to the vineyard that wasn’t necessarily prevalent in Napa Valley at the time. It’s a romantic notion to think the best wines make themselves but that’s not my experience. Simplicity comes from extraordinary effort and thought. To me the Araujo wines of 1991 through 2013 demonstrate the greatness of a site, to be sure, but equally the greatness of a team that brought a gentle, guiding touch and a clear sense of purpose.

What I love about Accendo is that it represents an entirely different approach from the one the Araujo’s took with Eisele. I’ve enjoyed watching Bart essentially reinvent himself – sourcing fruit, building a new state-of-the-art winery from scratch, etc. You have the same talented, dynamic duo of Francoise and Nigel so the wines continue to have brightness, nuance and elegance which points to a similar ethos and signature from the Araujo Eisele era. Yet of course the Accendo wines are different given the vineyard sourcing and blending. With fruit sources like Vine Hill Ranch, Sleeping Lady and Ecotone (formerly Abreu’s Thorevilos), my palate is tempted to think the Accendo wines have a touch more power and density than Araujo Eisele. Perhaps someone on this board will organize a tasting of 3-5 vintages each of Araujo Eisele and Accendo and report back on their impressions?!

Price is always an issue with Napa Valley wines and we all wrestle with this. A topic for another day will be the changing economics of winegrowing in Napa Valley. I seem to always go back to the notion of value. Generally speaking the 2018 and 2019 vintages will deliver fantastic, long-lived wines in Napa Valley. Accendo represents the accumulation of three decades worth of winegrowing experience at the highest level. The wine represents a great family’s vision and a great team’s effort and commitment toward excellence. The consistency and longevity and stewardship that Bart and Daphne Araujo have demonstrated not only in the vineyard and in the cellar but also in the community…is increasingly rare as Napa Valley goes through a generational transition. If you collect (or better yet consume) the top names in Napa Valley, Accendo is a worthy and valuable contribution to your cellar.

Ok Mikael, I talked myself into a 3-pack…I’ll send you a message! 😊
Last edited by scott.becker on January 12th, 2021, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realm Cellars

Len Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Len Stevens »

scott.becker wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:13 am Nice to see some buzz for Accendo Cellars as I think it’s well deserved. Thought I would add a little color commentary for those who are interested.

In full transparency, I feel lucky to consider Bart Araujo a friend and mentor. I remember walking the Eisele Vineyard with Bart somewhere in the mid-2000’s and he said something I will never forget. In response to a question I asked about legacy, he said simply, “Scott, this land was here before me and it will be here after me. I’m just passing through.” For those who know Bart, he can say a lot with only a few words.

I realized then how important the notion of stewardship was to Bart, and to the broader Napa Valley as a whole. Eisele was certainly known before the Araujo’s purchased it. For those who want to drink unicorn wines, look for the 71 Ridge Eisele or any of the Phelps Eisele wines from the 70’s and 80’s. But I would argue it was really Bart and Daphne and the rest of the Araujo team that enabled the site to reach its full potential. They orchestrated a thoughtful replant, introduced biodynamic farming, and brought a level of precision and focus to the vineyard that wasn’t necessarily prevalent in Napa Valley at the time. It’s a romantic notion to think the best wines make themselves but that’s not my experience. Simplicity comes from extraordinary effort and thought. To me the Araujo wines of 1991 through 2013 demonstrate the greatness of a site, to be sure, but equally the greatness of a team that brought a gentle, guiding touch and a clear sense of purpose.

What I love about Accendo is that it represents an entirely different approach from the one the Araujo’s took with Eisele. I’ve enjoyed watching Bart essentially reinvent himself – sourcing fruit, building a new state-of-the-art winery from scratch, etc. You have the same talented, dynamic duo of Francois and Nigel so the wines continue to have brightness, nuance and elegance which points to a similar ethos and signature from the Araujo Eisele era. Yet of course the Accendo wines are different given the vineyard sourcing and blending. With fruit sources like Vine Hill Ranch, Sleeping Lady and Ecotone (formerly Abreu’s Thorevilos), my palate is tempted to think the Accendo wines have a touch more power and density than Araujo Eisele. Perhaps someone on this board will organize a tasting of 3-5 vintages each of Araujo Eisele and Accendo and report back on their impressions?!

Price is always an issue with Napa Valley wines and we all wrestle with this. A topic for another day will be the changing economics of winegrowing in Napa Valley. I seem to always go back to the notion of value. Generally speaking the 2018 and 2019 vintages will deliver fantastic, long-lived wines in Napa Valley. Accendo represents the accumulation of three decades worth of winegrowing experience at the highest level. The wine represents a great family’s vision and a great team’s effort and commitment toward excellence. The consistency and longevity and stewardship that Bart and Daphne Araujo have demonstrated not only in the vineyard and in the cellar but also in the community…is increasingly rare as Napa Valley goes through a generational transition. If you collect (or better yet consume) the top names in Napa Valley, Accendo is a worthy and valuable contribution to your cellar.

Wow....just wow! I can't thank you enough for sharing this. Simply inspirational.

Len

Rodrigo F.

#26 Post by Rodrigo F. »

I couldn't agree more with this. Thank you for this post, Scott. Well written, thoughtful, honest and educational for the likes of me who are just a few years in, basically starting, their journey into the world of wine. Much appreciated.

I was fortunate to open a '15 Accendo CS last night while I watched my alma matter, Alabama, destroy Ohio State. Wine was singing after a 1hr + decant. Delicious and will always be attached to this memory now. Roll tide!
Accendo 15.PNG
scott.becker wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:13 am Nice to see some buzz for Accendo Cellars as I think it’s well deserved. Thought I would add a little color commentary for those who are interested.

What I love about Accendo is that it represents an entirely different approach from the one the Araujo’s took with Eisele. I’ve enjoyed watching Bart essentially reinvent himself – sourcing fruit, building a new state-of-the-art winery from scratch, etc. You have the same talented, dynamic duo of Francois and Nigel so the wines continue to have brightness, nuance and elegance which points to a similar ethos and signature from the Araujo Eisele era. Yet of course the Accendo wines are different given the vineyard sourcing and blending. With fruit sources like Vine Hill Ranch, Sleeping Lady and Ecotone (formerly Abreu’s Thorevilos), my palate is tempted to think the Accendo wines have a touch more power and density than Araujo Eisele. Perhaps someone on this board will organize a tasting of 3-5 vintages each of Araujo Eisele and Accendo and report back on their impressions?!

F l o r e s

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

What I love about Accendo is that it represents an entirely different approach from the one the Araujo’s took with Eisele. I’ve enjoyed watching Bart essentially reinvent himself – sourcing fruit, building a new state-of-the-art winery from scratch, etc. You have the same talented, dynamic duo of Francoise and Nigel so the wines continue to have brightness, nuance and elegance which points to a similar ethos and signature from the Araujo Eisele era. Yet of course the Accendo wines are different given the vineyard sourcing and blending. With fruit sources like Vine Hill Ranch, Sleeping Lady and Ecotone (formerly Abreu’s Thorevilos), my palate is tempted to think the Accendo wines have a touch more power and density than Araujo Eisele. Perhaps someone on this board will organize a tasting of 3-5 vintages each of Araujo Eisele and Accendo and report back on their impressions?!

Your quoted vineyard sources do not a $400 wine make. The Araujos have started over, and they have started without their main asset: the Eisele Vineyard. What makes this new venture so special to command those prices?
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Brian Tuite »

alan weinberg wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:58 am
Ian S wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:58 am Accendo is better than Descendo, correct? [snort.gif]
but not as good as Transcendo.
And not as predictable as Rescendo.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

scott.becker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by scott.becker »

Hi Merrill, I think value is in the eye of the beholder. Bond Vecina sells for north of $400 and so does Abreu Thorevilos so actually there is precedent for some of the vineyards that go into Accendo. But I recognize that may not truly address your fundamental point. In my view, the combination of vineyards, people, track record, commitment, etc…is as high quality as any other in Napa Valley.
Realm Cellars

Kelly Walker

#30 Post by Kelly Walker »

Does the finish have a crescendo?
If you keep peeling back an onion you eventually end up with nothing.

Ian S

#31 Post by Ian S »

Maybe they'll be a Nintendo wine making game based on Accendo.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Rodrigo F.

#32 Post by Rodrigo F. »

Accendo '18 CS 98+ by RP
F l o r e s

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by larry schaffer »

Rodrigo F. wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:18 am Accendo '18 CS 98+ by RP
And???? [snort.gif] [wow.gif] champagne.gif
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Rodrigo F.

#34 Post by Rodrigo F. »

larry schaffer wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:21 am
Rodrigo F. wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:18 am Accendo '18 CS 98+ by RP
And???? [snort.gif] [wow.gif] champagne.gif
newhere champagne.gif
F l o r e s

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Chris Seiber »

Markus S wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:33 pm Not too stunned I hadn't heard of it, as it is Cali cab, something I really do not drink.
But how to pronounce it?

ACK-sen-doh
A-CHEN-doh
Ass-sen-doh
Which syllable has the accento?

Richard Albert

#36 Post by Richard Albert »

A long time friend whose is a masterful vineyard consultant in Napa initiated and maintained biodynamic farming at the Eisele vineyard for the Araujos. I was able to try some of the declassified barrels with him. Even those wines were outstanding in 04 and 05, but were not going to contribute to their desired style, vin de guarde.
The biodynamic conversion was probably part of the purchase considerations by Pinault with some of France's top vineyards already having converted.
Oh my, biodynamics again! [stirthepothal.gif]
ITB

Rowen Bell

#37 Post by Rowen Bell »

Markus S wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:33 pm Not too stunned I hadn't heard of it, as it is Cali cab, something I really do not drink.
But how to pronounce it?

ACK-sen-doh
A-CHEN-doh
Ass-sen-doh
One of my audit clients is a company called Accendo Insurance Company, and I think they pronounce it "A-SEN-doh" but that doesn't mean the winery would pronounce it the same way...

Return to “Wine Talk”