The Generosity of Berserkers

On the New Year’s wine resolutions thread, I posted that one of my resolutions this year was to try riesling kabinett from Von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus and other classic Mosel/Ruwer/Saar producers with serious age on it (20+ years). These are nearly impossible to find at retail or auction since everyone who buys them drinks them and most do so before entering this “mystical” phase. A Berserker who I will keep anonymous, though refers to himself as an “old riesling rockhead,” messaged me saying he would gift me a bottle of 1998 Von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus Herrenberg Kabi to try out. Since then we’ve had some spirited discussion on riesling producers, vintages, buying strategies, etc.

Well, the package just came. When I saw on the FedEx tracker that the package was 18.5 lbs I knew something was up.
08716EC8-F56A-4223-85C1-15CA37F9CA7D.jpeg
I am absolutely floored and thankful for this WBer’s generosity. Not just in the wines, but in his willingness to teach/mentor based on his decades-long experience drinking these wines. In the future I will be sure to pay this forward to other young, budding riesling geeks who may come across WB.

27 Likes

That is amazing!

Sharing wine with those who appreciate it is so satisfying. I am sure you will pay it forward someday.

That is really cool! Kudos to whoever did this kind deed! [cheers.gif] And, Brian, you are a worthy recipient of this kindness, as you have an infectious enthusiasm for the wines, and readily share your thoughts, advice, and insight with others on this board. WB rocks!

2 Likes

this doesnt surprise me one bit. though it is also incredibly cool and generous.

I’ve always found that wine people in general, but especially the people on this board, are incredibly generous, willing to share, and friendly. its part of why I was drawn to both wine and wine berserkers.

1 Like

Wow that’s amazing, kudos to the anonymous donor and congrats on the exciting wines! I have also been lucky to have now had many interactions with Berserkers where they have sold me wine at their cost well below market price and a couple of times they have added a bottle or thrown in shipping. Like you say it’s not just the generosity of goods or funds, its also the generosity with time and knowledge that really makes this place special! Enjoy and let us know once you pop em!

Awesome story! Been the recipient of lots of kindness as well from board members, that’s how you build a community!

That is phenomenal! [cheers.gif]

I’m going to choose to believe Frank Drew shipped those.

6 Likes

That’s awesome!

Brian, please share your tasting notes from these bottles so we can all learn along with you

Will do. Going to let them rest for a little bit first.

What a wonderful gift, an embodiment (embottlement??) of all the generosity to be found on this board.

1 Like

Fantastic story and Thank You for sharing the story. We have some truly wonderful and generous people on this board.

I look forward to reading the notes once you’ve picked yourself up off the floor [cheers.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Well done generous Berserker.

That’s awesome! Very jealous of that '01 Willi Auction Spatlese! Enjoy!

Amazing. Always great to see people paying it forward and sharing both their wines and wine knowledge with others. After all, I think wine is really is at its best as a shared experience. Enjoy the wines and let us know how they are Brian [cheers.gif]

This board is full of very generous folks. I think the generosity of wine folks is a big part of what I love about this hobby.

This is the coolest.

Imagine what it would be like if it was easy for us as individuals to ship wine. That would be so much fun.

Awesome! Enjoy, Brian!