Horrible news about a Berserker - Frank Drew, RIP

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ian S

Re: Horrible news about a Berserker - Frank Drew, RIP

#101 Post by Ian S »

What a tragic example of Life & Death in 'Murica. You stop to help an auto wreck victim, only to be shot dead because the driver of the wreck is a gun-toting nutter.

RIP Frank. You should be awarded a medal.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Chloe Drew

#102 Post by Chloe Drew »

@Nola Palomar thanks for asking. My Uncle cared a lot about working people, and food and wine. One thing he was very mindful of right now are all the restaurant workers who have lost their jobs because of pandemic closures. I know that some people are making donations in his honor to the Restaurant Opportunities Center Pandemic Relief Fund https://rocunited.org/chapters/pandemic-response-fund/

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Jeff_M. »

RIP Frank. Horrible news. Last week felt like the 53rd week of 2020.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by dcornutt »

Tragic. RIP
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Wes Barton »

Awful.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Abbie S. »

Chloe Drew wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:25 am I am Frank Drew's niece and this outpouring of kindness and care means so much to our family. I know that he loved this community (and wine!) and that it would make him very happy to see these thoughts from all of you.
Chloe, I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. Such a horrible tragedy.
salovon

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#107 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

That’s horrible news, and I am so sad to hear it. Thank you Chloe for the insight into how to honor him and I am very sorry for your loss.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Markus S

#108 Post by Markus S »

Yet another tragedy involving guns. So sad...and stupid. Chloe, I've never met your uncle but only know him from the interwebs and these forums...I think he was a big contributor to the West Coast Wine Network back before Wineberserkers and he always seemed like a nice, decent man. He will be missed. I'm sorry for your family's loss.
$ _ € ® e . k @

K Kl@dder

#109 Post by K Kl@dder »

Senseless
K e i t h

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Otto Dobre »

RIP Frank.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Chris Seiber »

Such a terrible story in so many ways.

But in an effort to look at the other side of it, he seemed like a bright, warm and happy gentleman, and I'm glad he got 74 good years, which is much better than most people get. If the reports of him stopping to help are correct, then he gave his life doing the right thing and trying to help another person, and that is another thing that speaks so positively of him and his life.

So there is the huge loss, but the even greater joy in the life he had.

Will Clements
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Will Clements »

Words cannot express my sadness for the family and loved ones.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Chloe Drew wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:07 am @Nola Palomar thanks for asking. My Uncle cared a lot about working people, and food and wine. One thing he was very mindful of right now are all the restaurant workers who have lost their jobs because of pandemic closures. I know that some people are making donations in his honor to the Restaurant Opportunities Center Pandemic Relief Fund https://rocunited.org/chapters/pandemic-response-fund/
That would be a wonderful tribute to Frank. Headed there now. Please give our love, respect and condolences to those Frank loved.

I've been unable to get Frank and this horrible situation out of my mind since I first saw this thread.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Paul Miller »

Neal.Mollen wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Chloe Drew wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:07 am @Nola Palomar thanks for asking. My Uncle cared a lot about working people, and food and wine. One thing he was very mindful of right now are all the restaurant workers who have lost their jobs because of pandemic closures. I know that some people are making donations in his honor to the Restaurant Opportunities Center Pandemic Relief Fund https://rocunited.org/chapters/pandemic-response-fund/
That would be a wonderful tribute to Frank. Headed there now. Please give our love, respect and condolences to those Frank loved.

I've been unable to get Frank and this horrible situation out of my mind since I first saw this thread.
Done!

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#115 Post by sdfruman »

I Iive in Manassas and remember reading about this. So terrible. I never realized he was close by. RIP.
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Anthony C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Anthony C »

So sorry for your loss Chloe. That sounds like a great cause and we're happy to help.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Charlie Carnes »

This is such a terrible story. Chloe, thanks for coming on here. I will go to the relief fund website now. My prayers go out to you and your family.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by David Kingsbury »

I never met Frank but have read his posts over the years. Seemed like a true wine lover and all around decent man. So sorry to hear about his passing in such a senseless way. My condolences to his family and friends.
newhere ITB

Greg Xu

#119 Post by Greg Xu »

Nola Palomar wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:45 am
Chloe Drew wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:25 am I am Frank Drew's niece and this outpouring of kindness and care means so much to our family. I know that he loved this community (and wine!) and that it would make him very happy to see these thoughts from all of you.
Dear Chloe, Thank you so much for coming on here and giving us a point of contact to send our well wishes and sincere condolences? Is there any cause or non-profit that Frank loved or was passionate about to which we can set up a memorial for him? You have our attention here, and I think I can say how deeply sorry we all are for his loss, for you and your family's loss.
Same here, so sorry for your loss Chloe, and a loss for all of us.

Uli K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Uli K. »

Chloe Drew wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:07 am I know that some people are making donations in his honor to the Restaurant Opportunities Center Pandemic Relief Fund https://rocunited.org/chapters/pandemic-response-fund/
Chloe, very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences. Thanks for the pointer to ROC United, I made a contribution in his memory.
U. K 1 u m p p

G. Greenbaum

#121 Post by G. Greenbaum »

I'm so sorry to read this. Maddening and utterly tragic. My condolences to Frank's family and friends.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Peter Kleban »

Thanks Chloe (and Nola for asking). Just made a contribution. Sounds like a great organization. Glad I can do something, no matter how small, in Frank's memory.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Felettig Chamb-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Class '18
Lignier Morey St Denis 1er Ormes '14
Collestefano Verdicchio di M '19
Pépière Muscadet Briords '19
Bêcheur PN '14
Virage '07
Ampeau Volnay 1er Santenots '99

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Kevin Porter »

Chloe, thank you so much for taking time to share this us. I am holding you and those who Frank loved and who loved him in the light. I'm heading to the site now.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Jeff Vaughan »

That is awful news. So sad.
CT: outplaying

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by CJ Beazley »

I wasn’t expecting this to be in my feed-
It's C(raig)

Renato S.

#126 Post by Renato S. »

So sorry for his family.
💲U♏️®️🅰️

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Neal.Mollen wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm I've been unable to get Frank and this horrible situation out of my mind since I first saw this thread.
I’ve also been unable to stop thinking about this. What has our nation come to?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Very sorry to read this. Condolences to the family. Such unprovoked, crazy, random violence is almost beyond belief.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

A Dotson

#129 Post by A Dotson »

Will Clements wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:04 pm Words cannot express my sadness for the family and loved ones.
+1

Sadness and anger that it happened.
(It's me, Anton! I'm Beta testing, 'cause I'm a master Beta!)

That which does not kill us, makes us older.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

I didn't see a space on the ROC United site to mark my donation as being in Frank's honor, so I'll do so here. RIP, Frank, and thanks for letting us know, Chloe.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Siun o'Connell »

Joining the thanks to Nola for asking and especially to Chloe for reaching out to us here. Donation made. Grateful there is a way to honor him by helping others.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by John Glas »

Very sad news. I had some really good interactions with Frank on the boards and CC.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Thank you for sharing this and I would be honored to make a donation to a cause he cared deeply about.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Jeff White

#134 Post by Jeff White »

Hello all,

I have not been able to write until now. I knew Frank through my association with Linden Vineyards. Frank was friend to all there and they are devastated by this tragedy. People always write kinds words like I am about to, when someone passes, especially unexpectedly, but Frank was truly a decent, caring good hearted man. His whole life centered around helping others. He had a law degree and once worked to improve the lives of migrant farm workers. This before I knew him. He was a skill craftsman, making items for others out of wood in his shop. Made me a cutting board. He studied to become a local fire fighter and then an EMT. Last I knew he worked at a local emergency room. Was on his way home from work the night when this happened. I regret that I have not seen or talked with Frank since about the time I left Linden. He did come to my winery in 2007 and tasted my first vintage. And many of you know that Frank knew and loved wine. At Linden, Frank would show up right after work just about every week with wonderful old wines to try. He stored wine at Linden and at many other friends homes. He owned many bottles. He opened my eyes to the possibilities of wine, inspiring my further adventure in this industry. I grow Nebbiolo now because of that first Barolo he shared. Franks palate was sharp to say the least. At Linden he sometimes ran the presses, making palate based press fractions decisions. And his wine and wine experience memory was unmatched. He could talk about wines he had in the past like it was yesterday, not only describing the wines but what the weather was like or what clothes he was wearing or even what you were wearing at the time. I called him a Renaissance Man. He seemed to have in-depth thorough knowledge on many topics. He took the Jeopardy test at my urging.

Anyway, just thought I would share a little of what I know about Frank. Helps with the healing.

P L owet
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by P L owet »

Jeff White wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:43 am Hello all,

I have not been able to write until now. I knew Frank through my association with Linden Vineyards. Frank was friend to all there and they are devastated by this tragedy. People always write kinds words like I am about to, when someone passes, especially unexpectedly, but Frank was truly a decent, caring good hearted man. His whole life centered around helping others. He had a law degree and once worked to improve the lives of migrant farm workers. This before I knew him. He was a skill craftsman, making items for others out of wood in his shop. Made me a cutting board. He studied to become a local fire fighter and then an EMT. Last I knew he worked at a local emergency room. Was on his way home from work the night when this happened. I regret that I have not seen or talked with Frank since about the time I left Linden. He did come to my winery in 2007 and tasted my first vintage. And many of you know that Frank knew and loved wine. At Linden, Frank would show up right after work just about every week with wonderful old wines to try. He stored wine at Linden and at many other friends homes. He owned many bottles. He opened my eyes to the possibilities of wine, inspiring my further adventure in this industry. I grow Nebbiolo now because of that first Barolo he shared. Franks palate was sharp to say the least. At Linden he sometimes ran the presses, making palate based press fractions decisions. And his wine and wine experience memory was unmatched. He could talk about wines he had in the past like it was yesterday, not only describing the wines but what the weather was like or what clothes he was wearing or even what you were wearing at the time. I called him a Renaissance Man. He seemed to have in-depth thorough knowledge on many topics. He took the Jeopardy test at my urging.

Anyway, just thought I would share a little of what I know about Frank. Helps with the healing.
Jeff,
Thanks so much for sharing your personal remembrances. I only knew Frank through his always civil and informed web persona -- first at WCWN (especially regarding Italian wines) and then here (where he always contributed to threads about Virginia wines). I'm not surprised that your tribute is not at all surprising about the man. RIP Frank.
Peter
Peter L owet

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Siun o'Connell »

That was a lovely tribute Jeff - thank you for sharing it with us.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#137 Post by Nola Palomar »

This helps me a lot Jeff, thank you for posting. I didn't know him well here, but I can't get him out of my mind. I want to know more about him not because I want to pry, but so I can be a person that keeps who he was alive, even if only in my thoughts and private prayers. Sudden, violent deaths are hard to grieve, they take and leave so many questions and so little sense. Knowing a bit more of who he was and how it was his nature to help makes him even more memorable to me. Again Rest In Peace Frank.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

M. Meer

#138 Post by M. Meer »

I also left a small donation to ROC United in his honor. RIP
All of the wines in my cellar are underrated. Everything that is not is overrated.
[snort.gif]
Mar.kus

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by EAScrog »

Just seeing this tragic thread; how awful for his family. Am headed over to ROC United now. Sadness.
e l i z a B e t h

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#140 Post by Jud Reis »

Donation in. Least we could do.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#141 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Absolutely awful news. Tragic in the extreme. Heartbreaking. Sincerest condolences to Frank's family.

RT

Nick Christie

#142 Post by Nick Christie »

It does. I really enjoyed learning these aspects about his life.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Ron Slye »

Also donated. I did not know Frank. That is my loss. He sounds like an amazing and loving person. And the cause we are directed to is also worthy. So we donated earlier today. Peace.

Jeff White

#144 Post by Jeff White »

Frank Drew
Frank Drew

Steen T Olsen

#145 Post by Steen T Olsen »

RIP Mr Drew. These are trying times indeed..
[cheers.gif]

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by John Davis »

Wow, how awful, RIP.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”