Anyone still prefer Riedel’s Sommeliers series?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone still prefer Riedel’s Sommeliers series?

#51 Post by J.Vizuete »

Robert Dentice wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:56 am No. Zaltos all the way for me. However I just ordered white and universal from one of the Zalto family members who went out on his own so stay tuned:

https://us.josephinen.com/
Interested in your feedback on these, Robert. Coming from Zalto, I can imagine that the craftsmanship is good and there is a functional reason for the base of the bowls to be shaped as they are. But yeesh, aesthetically those leave something to be desired from my perspective
John
CT: jviz

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Al Osterheld »

Yeah, those don't appeal to me, either (to be gentle).

-Al

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by T. Melloni »

I use my remaining one. I have broken most of my Gabriel Glas and a few of my Grassls, too.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines. . .

Andy Sc

#54 Post by Andy Sc »

Doing some serious testing currently (since Nov) and so far, the SENSORY, seems to be the clear winner. If would have to score it on a 1-10 scale, it would be a straight 10. The Zaltos are usually between 6 & 8 pts (a tad less elegant and harmonious, a bit riper, but equally expressive), the Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet) and clearly weakest (so far in all 7 tests) would be the Gabriel Gold (at 2-3 pts, least expressive, least balanced).

But it‘s faaaar to premature to draw final conclusions (so far only tasted some younger white & red Burg and younger Bdx).
Andrew Scheppler - I make wine disappear

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Rich Brown »

J.Vizuete wrote: January 12th, 2021, 8:57 am
Robert Dentice wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:56 am No. Zaltos all the way for me. However I just ordered white and universal from one of the Zalto family members who went out on his own so stay tuned:

Interested in your feedback on these, Robert. Coming from Zalto, I can imagine that the craftsmanship is good and there is a functional reason for the base of the bowls to be shaped as they are. But yeesh, aesthetically those leave something to be desired from my perspective
Yikes! I've gotta agree. Those glasses are...... not exactly nice to look at (and that's being kind)

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#56 Post by Chris Freemott »

The Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet)
Which glass(s)?

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Rich Brown »

Andy Sc wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:52 am Doing some serious testing currently (since Nov) and so far, the SENSORY, seems to be the clear winner. If would have to score it on a 1-10 scale, it would be a straight 10. The Zaltos are usually between 6 & 8 pts (a tad less elegant and harmonious, a bit riper, but equally expressive), the Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet) and clearly weakest (so far in all 7 tests) would be the Gabriel Gold (at 2-3 pts, least expressive, least balanced).

But it‘s faaaar to premature to draw final conclusions (so far only tasted some younger white & red Burg and younger Bdx).
Very interesting! Please keep us updated on your findings.

I have not tried the SENSORY glasses (starting to think I need to), but I'm surprised by the GG vs. Zalto as I've generally found the opposite (I own both). I will say that I drink very little/no burgundy, so take that into account.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Rich Brown wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Yikes! I've gotta agree. Those glasses are...... not exactly nice to look at (and that's being kind)
Ummmm ... yeah. How do you say? ... Fugly.

From their website:
Beyond that, however, the wafer-thin, almost transcendent sculpture is calculated down to the last detail and created with a unique bend that combines form and function in the most beautiful way. The design ensures that part of the wine is refracted on its way to the rim and flows back into the glass in a spiral movement, this way it absorbs a great deal of oxygen and can develop perfectly.
Sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo garbage to me, but maybe I'm just a cranky cynic who has no clue.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by jordan jacobs »

Rich Brown wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Andy Sc wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:52 am Doing some serious testing currently (since Nov) and so far, the SENSORY, seems to be the clear winner. If would have to score it on a 1-10 scale, it would be a straight 10. The Zaltos are usually between 6 & 8 pts (a tad less elegant and harmonious, a bit riper, but equally expressive), the Grassls would be around 4-6 pts (less expressive, less balanced, more acidic and less a => could work well for Napa but not tested yet) and clearly weakest (so far in all 7 tests) would be the Gabriel Gold (at 2-3 pts, least expressive, least balanced).

I have not tried the SENSORY glasses (starting to think I need to), but I'm surprised by the GG vs. Zalto as I've generally found the opposite (I own both). I will say that I drink very little/no burgundy, so take that into account.
I have the sensory and I don’t like it. The opening is too big and the nose gets to airy. The grassl presents the bouquet with more focus. When I do side by side comparisons, I always end up dumping the juice in the sensory into the grassl.

Brian R Bachman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Brian R Bachman »

We love the Zalto Burgundy! Gabriel Grassi is our backup. Riedel's are nice to look at on the shelf however!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Rich Brown »

jordan jacobs wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:06 pm

I have the sensory and I don’t like it. The opening is too big and the nose gets to airy. The grassl presents the bouquet with more focus. When I do side by side comparisons, I always end up dumping the juice in the sensory into the grassl.
Thanks Jordan. That's what has kept me from buying them thus far- they look a little too large, especially at the opening. And they're not cheap.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Al Osterheld »

The truth is that you not only need a different glass for each variety and style, but also tailored to the size of your head and nose.

-Al

Andy Sc

#63 Post by Andy Sc »

Will do but the test will continue for many more months (and regions and age brackets). We are the two of us and so far we idependently got to the same results. But so far the sample size is too small to really draw any conclusions.

An add-on to my comments above about Grassl/Gabriel being less expressive: for some wines we tested, they were almost equally expressive but never as round and balanced in their expressivness, putting the focus on one or the other element (usually not fruit but acidity or herbal/minerality aromas).

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by jordan jacobs »

Andy Sc wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Will do but the test will continue for many more months (and regions and age brackets). We are the two of us and so far we idependently got to the same results. But so far the sample size is too small to really draw any conclusions.

An add-on to my comments above about Grassl/Gabriel being less expressive: for some wines we tested, they were almost equally expressive but never as round and balanced in their expressivness, putting the focus on one or the other element (usually not fruit but acidity or herbal/minerality aromas).
Now having tried all these glasses I find (so far of course) that the grassl and the zalto BDX are at the top in terms of balance and lacking nothing on the nose.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Rich Brown wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Seem delicate as well (breakable).

Andy Sc

#66 Post by Andy Sc »

jordan jacobs wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:23 pm Now having tried all these glasses I find (so far of course) that the grassl and the zalto BDX are at the top in terms of balance and lacking nothing on the nose.
Sure, I wouldn't be able to disprove you just yet. As said, my sample size is too small. We do the test at home from time to time and it will need much more than just a few wines to come to a solid conclusion. In addition, every person is different, with different sense and preferences, which complicates the translation of any findings.

After the 7 tests I'm quite surprise to find the Sensory behing ahead as it was not on my list initially (...until I've read that William Kelley started only using the Sensory for all wines).

Return to “Wine Talk”