TN: Chateau Meyney 1989

Following some recommendations of members of this board, I bought a mixed case of Meyney ‘86 and ‘89 recently. Today, we opened our first ‘89.

Initial impression was great: smells of ripe black fruit, licorice, some bayleaf and something dark and earthy.
When tasting it, there was a quite pronounced note of dark chocolate and some wonderful savory, almost spicy elements. The wine continued to evolve in the glass and became increasingly interesting and multi-faceted as the evening progressed. I’ll make sure to properly decant it next time, was a bit in a rush now unfortunately.

Another great discovery, thanks to the Wineberserker community! worth the €50 I paid for the bottle and looking forward to the rest!

1 Like

Loved these back in the day…“bay leaf” a good call!

Great value…85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 95-96, 98-2019.

This thread reminds me to do something…

So there was a bit left in one of the glasses this morning and it smelled absolutely amazing: even more savory and fruity notes than yesterday! I’ll really need to give this more air next time

Shortened the range for my palate. These slayed. Meyney fell off track, but I started buying again at 2014 and 2016. The 1986 is the best wine QPR in my humble opinion.

I stopped buying Bordeaux after the 1990 vintage, have fond memories of the 86 and 89 Meyney…They were “by the case” purchases. As others have said, great value/QPR

1 Like

Just popped a 1989 Meyney. Drinking very well. More feminine than expected with notes of red currant along with the darker fruit. And yes, we’re talking fruit at 32 years! Cork disintegrated but the wine is unaffected. Nice tertiary elements, cigar box, leather, some dried herbs. Decent length. Soft balanced acidity. Not upper tier Bordeaux by any means…but very satisfying!

RT

Not upper tier Bordeaux by any means…but very satisfying!

I had a few of these over the last years, and that mirrors my impression.
Not the most intense or complex, and “feminine” ist spot on.

If you should stumble across a 1989 Tronquoy Lalande from St Estephe, grab it.
The wine was surprisingly one step up from the Meyney with more substance and complexity.

m.

Robert, exactly the same for me, except I never restarted buying again.

You probably were too young for the 1982.

1 Like

Ha yes, 1983 high school grad, but I have had this wine several times over the years. Had some on the recent mountain trip with Todd, but not the best showing. That bottle was on last breath. The La Lagune showed so much better.

The 1982 la Lagune may have been one of the best Bordeaux values of all time. I think it was around $7 per bottle.

1 Like

I’m actually opening the 1982 La Lagune for a dinner party this Saturday. I’ll let you all know how it held up

You liked and bought 2014 and 2016? My head is spinning!

1 Like

I got a case of the '89 at a Zachy’s auction about 2 years ago. Lovely wine. I had bought some on release and opened the last one of those on September 15, 2005 (my first ever wine offline and it was my birthday so I remember the date). It was outstanding and stood up well against some first and second growths, so when I noticed the auction case, I grabbed it. So far ever bottle has been excellent. A classic flavor profile from the old Cordier stable - saddle leather and earth profile but with nice red fruit to complement it. I guess it’s time to open another one.

I just got a good price on the 2014, $34.00 no shipping (local pickup) wooden case. I’ll post a note in 10 years.

I had the 88 earlier in Jan and I thought it was showing amazing. Some dark cherry notes but more stewed and dried. Lots of spice and tobacco with mushroom notes. I’ve seen others mention it too so will be on the look out for older vintages on discount (granted the price is already pretty low usually)