TN: 2018 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder

Wasenhaus’s base Spätburgunder shows like a top 2017 Chambolle, and frankly for my palate beats many of them out. The nose is intensely aromatic and replete with red fruit and spice. Vibrant, high-toned and brimming with energy on the palate. There is a ton of minerality here, a chalky character to the wine. Beautifully textured. Acid is in perfect balance. This is an unbelievably good wine for the price (and in general). Looking forward to seeing how my remaining bottles age.

Screenshot_20210108-145323_Instagram.jpg
Amazing wines. Already commented on your Instagram.
But i have high hopes for aging the red 2018’s.

For those who don’t know about them:

Wasenhaus is an exciting project by Christoph Wolber and Alexander Götze, who met in Burgundy while getting their enology education. They have spent many years working at some of the top Burgundy Estate’s including Pierre Morey, De Montille and Leflaive to name a few. Today they make some of the most exciting Pinot Noir’s in Baden, with a clear inspiration from their time in Burgundy. They are creating organic wines in a low intervention style that creates clean and light but at the same time very expressive wines. Besides the Spätburgunder’s, they also make a range of whites that are very interesting.

Good to see you cross-platform! Yeah, these wines are infectiously good. Halfway into my first glass of this bottle I shot an email out to see how much more I can possibly get.

Sounds like I should back up the truck before these become ten times more expensive…

The first vintage was 2016 and the hype is already pretty crazy. I buy a few bottles of the top wines for the cellar each vintage as i expect them to become more expensive in the coming years (2018 already cost more than 2016 even though they produce more wines now). So buy while it is possible.