RIP Leonard Maran - Berserker

Just found out today. Leonard came to the very first offline I hosted at my home that began what turned into the Old Vines Offlines Series. We’ve been friends on Facebook ever since. Sad to hear of his passing. He was active on Wine Berserkers up until late October of 2020.

Leonard Maran
October 31, 1943 – December 4, 2020

Leonard Maran, born to Joseph and Beatrice Maran of Teaneck, NJ, passed away on Friday, December 4, at the age of 77. His father, Joseph Sr., emigrated from Italy to the US when he was 12 through Ellis Island, and Americanized his name from Giuseppe Marantonio when he became a citizen. Leonard’s mother, Beatrice Margolin, was a first-generation American of Russian-Jewish descent. Leonard was the youngest of three children, including his late sister, Trudy Maran, and his late brother, Joseph Maran.

Leonard attended Goddard College and graduated with a BA in psychology in 1966. He went on to study social work and graduated with a MSW from UC Berkeley.
Leonard worked as an inpatient social worker at San Mateo General Hospital, as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker for the City of San Francisco, and later served in the same capacity in private practice. He was also a Facilitator and Trainer at UCSF Alliance Health Project in San Francisco, his beloved, adopted home city.

A devoted “foodie” and wine enthusiast, Leonard adored film and books and LP’s and was a lover of culture in general. He shared his love and extensive knowledge of wine and food as a columnist and reviewer for the San Francisco Spectrum under the moniker, “The Wine Mook,” and as a columnist and editor at the San Francisco Observer.

Always locally involved, Leonard enjoyed both social and solo engagements. He was an active member of the Friendly Visitor and Community Ambassador programs with Openhouse SF and loved the fresh herb garden that he tended with care at his Haight Street apartment of 36 years.

As much as he loved living in the Haight-Ashbury district in San Francisco since 1968, he never forgot his New Jersey roots and his family and friends who lived there. He will be greatly missed by his six nieces and nephews, cousins, and also by his many adoring friends from coast to coast. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Openhouse SF, a non-profit tax-exempt organization providing community services for LBGT seniors (www.openhouse-sf.org).

8 Likes

Sad…RIP. If I had a Ch Angelus I’d pop it in his honor!:heart:

1 Like

My sympathies to his friends and family.
RIP.

Leonard was a regular at SF offlines. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Our condolences. A mensch

Sad to hear this today. I had many enjoyable wine dinners with Leonard over the years. His voice and personality made him an entertaining character at any event. He will be missed.

1 Like

I remember and enjoyed his posts. I had no idea he lived in the Haight since 1968; had I known, I would have asked him a hundred obnoxious questions no doubt. RIP Beserker.

1 Like

Rest In Peace.

Very sad to hear.

Thanks for sharing that, Brian. I always enjoyed his posts and learned from them. So nice to know more of his background.
Tom

1 Like

Haven’t seen him for a few years, very sad that he passed.

-Al

Leonard was such a sweet person and I’m glad to have known him. When I first moved to the Bay Area, I lived near him in the Haight. We occasionally carpooled to tasting events out of town, and he was always generous with stories and insights about the City. People like him really made the Bay Area feel like home.

I also owe Leonard for one of the very best California wines I’ve drunk, the 1975 Cuvaison Napa Cab Special Selection. This was Philip Togni’s last year at Cuvaison and the story was that this was a barrel and vineyard selection from a site on Spring Mountain. Same label as the standard 1975, but a stamp on the back label. Leonard opened it at an event where there was a three liter of Harlan, a couple SQNs, and a 1989 Haut Brion. (These were still the days when BIG California wine was cool.) The Cuvaison was easily the most memorable wine, and not just for me. In my memory, it reflects Leonard: Perhaps unassuming at first, but then exuberant when opened up. And lots of insider knowledge, but not the pretentious kind. I hope I still remember that wine, and Leonard, if I reach 77 some day.

5 Likes

So sorry.

Yes, I also always appreciated his posts. Interesting story and condolences.

I met Leonard just once but liked him immediately. We became fast acquaintances on FB and I enjoyed his perspective on politics, film, literature, and gay rights history.

He was a cool guy and I’m glad he got to see the results of our recent election.

Rest peacefully sir.

Rest in peace Leonard.

Leonard was a very active member of our Bay Area wine group for years, always positive, always friendly, a warm and beautiful individual, he will be missed terribly. RIP Leonard.

1 Like

Pic from Dec. 2004, BAWE annual holiday party. This is how I knew Leonard, surrounded by friends, laughter, and great food and wine.
PICT0028.JPG

1 Like

Sad to hear this, enjoyed his posts. RIP.

I’m sorry to hear this news, and sorry I never met him in person, but I enjoyed and will miss his posts. RIP.