TN: 2015 Volpaia Chianti Classico

This is my last bottle and I’m bummed about it. I had bought three bottles a few years ago along with some other moderately priced Italian wines, and while I enjoyed the prior two bottles of this vintage (as best as I can recall), this time around was more memorable, in a good way.
Medium-strong tannins, good acidity, leather and dark cherries with a pleasing finish that lasts. Excellent pairing for the spaghetti and homemade meatballs that we had tonight. It would have been fun to see how it further developed as the tannins soften.

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I find these great values in most recent vintages ('15, '16, '17) and are completely solid for what they deliver. I’m always glad to have these to grab and pop. I wouldn’t think to age them as they are structured today, but I’d be willing to bet they would improve some. If I could keep them around I would try it!

Renaissance here since 2009 and been even better since 2013 vintage. Harder to find than Felsina, but really solid wines and value, especially at Riserva level.

I had one 2016 that was very good, another not so much (perhaps there is bottle variation, the CT TNs for the '16 vintage seem to vary a lot).

The three 2018s I’ve had were all excellent.

See CT for my TNs.

I bought 2 of the 2016 from a local retailer on their recommendation. The first bottle was unmemorable, but I opened the second one a few days ago and it was about a good a pop and pour as I’ve had from any region lately, especially at the price point. It just completely hit my sweet spot for balance between fruit, tangy acidity and gripping tannins. Perfect cellar defender.

We love the 2017 Volpaia. I think it is in a perfect spot right now. I have not tried the 2018 but will be looking out for it. Here is my note from last summer.

Ed

Thanks, Ed - I’m keeping an eye out for other vintages of Volpaia after finishing the 2015s. I just bought some bottles of the 2016 Monsanto CCR, and based on your notes (and others), I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good things!
Aside from the occasional dud, I have had great success with the Italian reds in the $20-30 range, which are perfect for having a glass of wine with dinner during the weekday, and leisurely enjoying a bottle over the course of a few days. One of my wine goals is to keep more of these on hand, and explore other Italian regions (Piedmont, Sicily, etc.).

1 Like

Since I started lurking on this site over a year ago, I am probably happiest with the recommendations for good Chianti. My wine budget is way below most posters here, so CC is something I can sample. The 2018 Volpaia is one of the most enjoyable CCs I have tasted. Thanks everyone.

Bryce, it is great that you are exploring Italian wine! And you are right, there are a lot of choices in that price range, and these are great wines to open up in the middle of the week. After trying a few 2018 Rosso di Montalcino, I have been very impressed and will look to buy more, and they are within your price points. In Sicily, Graci and Occhipinti are consistently well made and flexible with food.

I have also relied on the recommendations of a few retailers here in the Bay Area and that has worked out well for us. Also, there are many on the board who have extensive knowledge of Italian wines, much more than me. Tim Heaton is one. I don’t know Tim personally, but his blog is excellent. Here is his link.

Cheers,
Ed

don’t despair. It’s all over Wine-Searcher for less than $20, same vintage.

Any thoughts on the regular CC versus the reserva? I visited them in 2018 and I recall the regular 15 CC was just fine and actually showed better than the riserva. Butt the buzz has been all about the 15 and 16 reservas.

CC all day while your Riservas age.

I really enjoyed the 2009 version. Last bottle was consumed about a year ago. They seem to be at Peak.

A little off topic, but worth a mention for price point and similarly accessible personality, I’ve really been enjoying the Fattoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano bottles. Regular and riserva are well priced, deep enough yet easy to drink and really over deliver. It’s a style of sangiovese that is good on its own as well as with food. These are worth a look and a try and not hard to find, and sub $30 for sure. And I actually prefer the riserva for its style and overall makeup over the more meaty and gamey Poggio Valente from this maker. So another case where price isn’t necessarily all that.

1 Like