Best Primitivo sub $30

Looking for Primitivo recs under $30. I have yet to find my “go to” Primitivo that I will always keep lying around and I continue to bounce from one to another… hoping to find the one that really sticks. Thanks in advance.

I reckon you’ll get some more tailored recommendations if you note which Zins you’ve enjoyed so far and which ones you didn’t. That said, Bedrock and Ridge are a few of the thread darlings, so do check those out if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Just received a bottle of Bedrock OV. Probably wont try it until Late Jan early Feb though.

I’m not really a big zin drinker tbh. Havent opened a zin or zin blend in about a year, outside of some inexpensive Primitivos that I open fairly often

Last Zin I really enjoyed was the 1995 Ravenswood Zinfandel Wood Road Belloni Vineyard, which I had just over 2 years ago

I also enjoyed the 2015 Torrevento Primitivo Since 1913

Not sure if these are helpful.

I’m not really a big zin drinker tbh.
[/quote]

I don’t drink much zinfandel, so I can’t give you many recommendations. My comments were more in line to help you get some more constructive recomendations from other berserkers.

You do know that zinfandel and primitivo are the same grape varietal, right? Otherwise I’m a bit confused as to why you’d want to have a go-to primitivo if you’re not a big drinker of it.

I don’t drink much zinfandel, so I can’t give you many recommendations. My comments were more in line to help you get some more constructive recomendations from other berserkers.

You do know that zinfandel and primitivo are the same grape varietal, right? Otherwise I’m a bit confused as to why you’d want to have a go-to primitivo if you’re not a big drinker of it.
[/quote]
Sounds like you’re asking for a southern Italian red.

Sounds like you’re asking for a southern Italian red.
[/quote]

Yes, I do know that. It isn’t so much that I don’t like the varietal, but more that I don’t drink it very often because I haven’t yet found my “go to”. I have a few decent Primitivo everyday drinkers that are $15-20, but being that so many are made in Puglia, I find it hard to imagine that there aren’t ones I would like a lot more for under $30. Just a matter of trying a bunch to figure out which one that is, so I am just hoping others with some experience can help expedite the process. I drink plenty of Southern Italian reds otherwise though.

Regarding domestic Zin, I’m hoping Bedrock becomes my go to, but I generally prefer old world wines.

I don’t know about ‘best’ but I enjoy all of the Primitivo expressions from Fatalone in Puglia. All under $30, and overdeliver on price. Doesn’t hurt that they farm organically, with spontaneous fermentation and minimal intervention. The ‘Teres’ feels more like a deep rosato and is perfect for summer, while the other cuvees are more traditional in style.

2 Likes

There is some good variety in southern Italy. Manduria is the only DOC for Primitivo. My company represents Produttori di Manduria. It’s a 100 year old co-op with a few hundred growers. They make a bunch of wines but we only carry two of their Primitivos; Elegia which is ~$30 and the Lirica which is ~$15. They should be fairly easy to find in NY.

On the hunt now. Thank you.

Found Elegia at one of my regular stores that I have to make an order at soon actually! Thank you.

Regarding ‘best’, I submit The 10 best Italian wines (and why you shouldn’t want them) – ItalianWine.blog

That aside, having travelled extensively throughout Puglia over the course of the past five+ years, the wines I’m most endeared to are those from Natalino del Prete. Vini Biologici – Natalino del Prete: one of the (way!) humble greats on planet Earth – ItalianWine.blog.

With 13 VinItaly behind me, and, as I said, having gone there (i.e. Apulia) many times for extended periods, I’ve found what I’m looking for in Primitivo as well as other varieties, and blends. But, as we all know, what works for one, isn’t necessarily going to work for others. Someone has mentioned the wines of Consorzio Produttori Vini Manduria - these don’t work for me, at all: way too modern. However, the other cooperative Cantine San Marzano produces some really great wines at (well, we already know this) great prices. The exception to CSM is their ‘top’ wine (way, way too much creamy oak for my taste) the Sessantanni Old Vines (oh how I wish they would produce this in a neutral oak version, too).

Not sure this can be of any help, but I had to make a ‘plug’ for one of my favorite, and little-known winegrowers.

Is this correct? Randomly, I looked it up the other day and Wikipedia thinks otherwise.

Most Primitivo is grown in Apulia, a coastal region known as the “heel” of Italy, and it is estimated to be the country’s 12th most widely planted grape variety.[46] The main three DOC areas are Primitivo di Manduria, Gioia del Colle Primitivo (Riserva) and Falerno del Massico Primitivo (Riserva o Vecchio).[47] The Manduria DOC covers still red wine as well as sweet (Dolce Naturale) and fortified (Liquoroso Dolce Naturale, Liquoroso Secco) wine.[47] Falerno requires a minimum of 85% Primitivo; the others are 100% Primitivo.[47] Gioia del Colle Rosso and Rosato contain 50–60% Primitivo, and Cilento Rosso/Rosato contains around 15%.[47]

Brig,

It’s funny, I am drinking a Falerno del Massico tonight and I didn’t realize they differentiate with the ‘Rosso’ (min 60% Aglianico) and ‘Primitivo’ designations.

Manduria is the only DOC that is 100% Primitivo so we can split the baby.

Joseph,

Not to veer off too hard but if you like these kinds of wines you should also be exploring other wines of Campania, Calabria an Puglia, lots of variety with the local ‘black’ grapes that give similarly structured wines.

Name names

Tom,

Staying in Salento and trying to hew to things comparable to Primitivo, I’d stick to Negroamaro, Susumaniello and Nero di Troia.

Moving back to Campania, Piedirosso is one of the more popular dark grapes and you will find it in blends from Falerno del Massico. In Terre del Volturno, you have wines from Casavecchia and Palagrello Nero, which can also be blended with Aglianico.

A natural wine store in Baltimore, Angels Ate Lemons, included a bottle of Natalino del Prete Natalì Primitivo in a mixed box of wine I ordered from them before Christmas. The store is in line with you about the quality and authenticity of this producer (and I don’t think just to sell more wine): Angels Ate Lemons on Instagram: "On our ethos This Primitivo by Natalino del Prete is everything I want out of a red table wine. “Table wine” is not a slight. It does not mean the wine lacks quality or finesse. In fact, it is my favorite way to describe the wines we sell. We sell wines for your table. Wines to drink every day and enjoy. While shopping for their boss’s holiday gift, a client recently asked me for the “most expensive” or “top shelf” bottle. I told her that way of thinking does not apply here and confidently sold her on this $26 bottle of Primitivo. It is a wine made well by an honest person - A wine that could light up any meal today or age for decades in a cellar. We share an ethos with small producers who work hard, care deeply for their co-workers, for their land, and care that their wines are more than just the brand or label on the bottle.". Now I really need to open my bottle and report back. They are imported by Louis/Dressner in the US.

Awesome. I found some in NdP primitivo in Brooklyn, as well as some of the negroamaro near family in MA.
CSM is at one of my regular stores too.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks. I’m actually a big fan of Negroamaro as well. Opened 24 bottles in 2020 apparently. I have some Susumaniello as well but don’t think I have ever tried a Nero di Troia. Will start looking into it!

I have been meaning to try Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro (Aglianico blended with Piedrosso) for some time now maybe this will finally get me to pull the trigger.

If you’re looking for Piedirosso ( not Piedrosso), an excellent, transparent expression can be found with La Sibilla Piedirosso in the tiny Campi Flegrei; in the top ranks of my 20 years of vineyard visits. Very traditional style. Inexpensive, terrific food wine.

1 Like

Haven’t had the recent vintages, but liked the Fatalone primitivo that Astor sells. They have an oaked one for around $15 and a riserva for over $20.

1 Like