TN: 2002 Domaine Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint Jacques

After our busiest month or so on record in the restaurant , I finally managed a night at home and thought I needed something good to partner a leg of pork.

This is perhaps at the peak of its powers and its tannins have softened and the oak that one often sees on this cuvee is now nicely integrated. It has all the meat and earth and decaying primary fruits and a soft mouthfeel. Where it lacks though is length and there’s a sweetness to the palate, which may be a function of the riper vintage and the oak treatmant. It’s good and entering maturity, but it’s not as compelling as I was anticipating. My recollection is that the 2001 has more tension and interest.

Thanks for the note, it’s nice to see that some of the wines I first cut my teeth on ITB are starting to show a little maturity.

The first vintage that I bought was 1996, then had a fair crack at 99, 01 and 02 and it was a pretty good place to start.
I have bought Jadot CSJ just about every vintage since 2001 with the expectation that it was Grand Cru quality, but the 2002 falls a little short of this theorem.

Thanks for the note, Kent,

I have a '96 of this; is this the year to open it? Kirk?

Thanks in advance!