Boardwide Virtual Tasting: Napa Merlot 3/20-23-PILE ON NOW!

Lets change it up a bit and revisit the often mis-understood grape: Merlot.
I almost totally ignore this one myself, but have had a few beauties.
I have on tap some Blankiet from 01 and 02. (It’s probably all I own) [berserker.gif]

Lets see where we stand on this. I open this one up to other countries and regions if we can’t get enough Napa involved. (Some Italian Merlots I have recently had have been impressive).
If you do agree to post tasting notes, please try to finish with an average/good/great/excellent/wow one word descriptor at the end of your note. Makes my post tabulations easier.

thanks
M

Mao, please sticky this.

Once again, I’m full of fail. I had a lovely bottle of Napa Merlot recently, now I’m left with zero (from Napa).

The lone bottle that I have is a 1997 Beringer Howell Mountain Bancroft Ranch Merlot. As good a time as any to kill it off.

Put me down for a Pride Mountaintop, vintage TBA.

If I can find some helpers, I have a magnum of the 1992 just dying to be opened. Got some other candidates, too.

I’m in big. I still have 96-97 Pahlmeyers, 01-04 Blankiet, Pride Clarets from 96-02 and Mountaintops and others. I’m thinking 97 or 99 Pride Claret.

Another boardwide tasting that is right in my wheelhouse. According to CT I have 41 different Napa merlots to choose from - and that doesn’t include 16 different Pride merlots that don’t show up when I limit the subregion to “Napa”.

If I don’t include the Pride merlots my best option would probably be a 2004 Blackbird, an 02 Paloma, or a Switchback from 02, 03 or 04. Prides I can do numerous vintages of vintner’s select or Napa/Sonoma merlot. If we want to get a vertical of the Beringer Howell Mtn Bancroft Ranch I can do a 94, 96, 99 or 02.

Looks like I’ll have to get out my Wine Enthusiast scent kit to take another stab at creating a tasting note!

If we are counting Pride as Napa, and not Napa/Sonoma, then I have plenty to choose from.

I have Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red, if that counts as ‘Merlot’…it’s a Bordeaux Blend, technically, but it appears Jack is stretching the task a bit to include clarets, so I’m covered if we go that route.

Lets say where the largest componenet being Merlot, is in.

Bill, sure Pride works. Hell, so does Sonoma.

Steve, Ane there any Long Island Cabs that you are planning to open? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

Depending on when they ship orders done last month, I might have an 05 Switchback Ridge Merlot. If not, I will just go buy something else.

Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red is out - that’s principally Cab Sauv

ditto me here … 'cept my bottle really wasn’t all that “lovely” … I could crack one of the three bottles I have of WA merlot, however.

Maybe a Pennsylvania Cab blend. [rofl.gif]

Count me in with a 2005 Robert Foley Merlot.

I think I have a lone bottle of 96 Stelzner merlot hanging around somewhere in the cellar - sounds like a good occation to crack it.

I’m in with a 2003 Atalon

Me third. I have no Napa Merlot. Had an average bottle of 2004 Luna a couple weeks back though.

I have no Napa or Sonoma merlot. I can only participate if you expand the virtual tasting to include wines from France.

Someone else has to start these Boardwide Virtual Tastings other than Pobega, then…

[big_boss.gif]