What do you want to try in 2021????

Happy New Year all. Today being such a day of reflection of what was and will be - a cause for joy and fulfilled wishes (or is it unfulfilled wishes [wow.gif]?).

A simple question to all my fellow wine nuts who spend way to much time and treasure on this hobby - What “wines” do you strive to have the ability to taste in 2021? The ability to obtain a wine is certainly easy with the internet ever so present - but - if you don’t have a wine in your cellar or in a friends cellar how will you ultimately know if it will be a sound representative bottle? I will define “wines” as a very good example no matter how old of a wine from a winery that you’d like to get the essence of and know better. Sure - you can say Romanee Conti if you want to go big - the size of the $ amount does not make it a more interesting choice IMHO. Once we’re all able to gather together - I imagine this question can better inform you and your friends for future sharing of wine at dinner or around a table with friends. I’ll list my wishes below - Red wine, White wine (Champagne, etc all included), and Dessert wine.

Yes, I hope to know what you would like to try so if I have it in my cellar - I can bring to the next time we hopefully can share wine together champagne.gif.

For me personally,

RED WINE: I’ve been eternally interested in getting to know the essence of what Le Pin from Bordeaux is all about - a good vintage or not - what makes these wines so special… If you have a good bottle in your cellar I’ll bring a nice bottle of Montrachet to pair it with [cheers.gif].

WHITE WINE: I’d love to get to know what a properly aged northern Rhone white from Chave or Chapoutier can blossom into after 30+ years of proper aging. I’ve heard that hitting these wines at the right time is a magical experience. I have the patience to wait for the ones already resting here at home - but - that’s 10+ years from now .

DESSERT WINE: I’d love to see what a truly magnificent properly aged TBA from a good vintage can taste like - think 50+ years old or so. Magical elixir? Winery or domaine doesn’t matter really…

CHEERS!

Seriously…first I want to thank YOU Favre-ie, as you’ve provided me a LOT of my must taste experience wines through the years! [cheers.gif]

Reds…I really want to try Petrus…as well as any of the great legendary Bordeaux with age. My experience is very lacking in the area, and I just don’t buy any.

A truly amazing aged Barolo.

Whites…probably one of those amazingly youthful Leroy 1969’s I see Fu drink weekly…and ANY d’Auvenay!

I’m sure plenty more…but those sure do linger in my brain constantly.

Cheers and Happy New Year buddy! champagne.gif

Red: A 1993 Red Burg from a good producer that’s been kept well. Or, a Monfortino with at least 25 years of age.

White: Montrachet from a good producer.

Dessert: Yquem at least 30 years old.

Tough question…

Red: Juge Cornas…already priced out of them generally, but want to taste one before they go even higher

White: some sort of “a-ha” Riesling. Seems like there may be plenty out there for 2019, so just a matter of doing the legwork

a Romanee Conti. Can you help me out ? LOL

Screaming Eagle , if I am added to the mailing list (which ain’t happening).

newhere

I hit Le Pin last night and DRC earlier this year. Gentaz really is that one, elusive wine that I would love to try. I assume it is cut from the same cloth as Verset and Juge. AD, I have lots of Juge, come cycling with me and we pop one!

1 Like

Red: A Diamond Creek wine from the 1980s.

White: Von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Kabinett with 20 years of age on it.

Sweet: JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel with 30+ years of age on it.

My most fervent wish is that, the day Covid becomes an unpleasant memory, I manage to find myself surrounded by generous people who will directly assist me in the ‘classic wine education’ I never had. I’m fortunate enough that it has already happened a few times.

1 Like

I just want to drink great (even mediocre) wines with my friends while not worrying about dying.

6 Likes

Would like to make it back to mosel to try the auction wines again this year after missing the 2019 vintage.
A

1 Like

Petrus - I think a have a few you could enjoy! Barolo - you should be asking for an '89, '90, or '96 red label of some sort - I think I could help with this also :slight_smile:. d’Auvenay - can’t help and this. I’ve gotten to try a few here and there and would love to try more - like you. Happy New Year Buzz!

2021 is the year I hope to drink more bone dry Rieslings, chalky Cabs and nervier Zinfandels. I might come back to PN, but the immediate urge hasn’t returned. Maybe the odd austere Chardonnay or Chablis?

A '93 Rousseau Chambertin would fit this bill Michael! I hope to share one with you someday.

Can’t help with Juge but I’m sure we could find a few here on the board :slight_smile:. Got to try the '05 Juge a couple years ago - a massive wine still. Some of the best from Keller could be reachable in 2021 for you.

1 Like

No - against the rules - lol. Take this serious and let us know what your wishes will be :slight_smile:.

What vintage of Le Pin Alfert? Gentaz - would love to try also!

I could help you with Diamond Creek from the mid/late 70s - would love to share these at a dinner with older California gems! I hear those older JJ Prums are stellar.

Yep - this is a worthy wish David. I’m sure this can happen - with good wine no doubt!