TN: 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #5

Light yellow color. Expressive nose of ripe peach, mango, orange blossom, lavender, and a touch of lemon-tinged chamomile tea. Incredibly well balanced, with auslese-like sweetness and intensity, bright acidity, and slate mineral tones with a touch of spritz. The palate is clean and predominantly yellow-fruited with notes of tangerine, yellow flowers, whipped cream, and fresh-cut herbs lingering on a finish that seems to go on eternally, or at least until the next sip.

I’ve had this wine in several vintages (along with a couple bottles at maturity), and can say this is my favorite young showing thus far. While I’m saddened to now be priced out of Willi Schaefer auslesen bottlings, this continues to be a no-brainer purchase for me. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Wonderful note! Thank you!

I was blown away by how well and as you say complex two recent 2019 JJ Prum Zeltinger and Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese were drinking.

I haven’t opened any of my 2019 JJP spätlese yet, don’t tempt me :wink:

Prum and Schaefer both showing so well this young is surprising. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is common for 2019 or just coincidence?

I imagine it’s related to the vintage conditions. This is my first 2019 spätlese that I’ve opened. It’s especially surprising for the Schaefer GD bottling, which is usually a little more reticent in youth (I haven’t opened a 2019 GH Spätlese yet).

I thought the 2019 JJ Prüm kabinetts I had were showing slightly better than usual, reminded me of when I had the 2015s when they were young. The 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhaus kabinetts were interesting, as the Abtsberg was reserved but the Herrenberg was showing magnificently.

1 Like

I have seen it happen before. 2007 was easy on release. 2012 had a period of brilliance before it shut down.

1 Like

I love this wine with some age, but haven’t had the 2019 yet. I had the 2019 Willi Schaefer GD Auslese and thought it was a bit too young, so I’ve been sticking to the kabinetts since (although, I think the '19 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer Kab kind of drinks like a Spatlese).

I’ll have to open one of these Spatlesen soon!

I am copying my comment from the other thread here. I saw that one first.
——————
Sounds fabulous.

Since Christoph settled on calling this bottling No. 5 every year, I think it’s been the most consistent, exciting sweet Spatlese in the Mosel.

If you want to buy the Auslesen for less, check out getting it in Europe. They have been considerably cheaper in London to justify the cost of bringing them in, for example, although I don’t know if Brexit will affect that.

I always found the GH bottlings more accessible in their youth.

For whatever reason I nearly always prefer the sweeter riesling with age, but enjoy the drier ones at all stages.

I prefer these with age as well, but it’s fun to open when young. I have several more bottles :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great note Brian. When conditions permit, a few of us are planning in a few months to taste much of the Schaefer range, and any thoughts you can offer on how long in advance you opened the bottle and when it really started showing its best would be most welcome. 2015 and 2017 tastings were a real PITA because the wines were tight even after 4-6 hours of airing. I am hopeful the 2019s will be a bit easier to approach.

This sounds delicious alone for the floral and tea notes, some of my favorite things. Also speaks well for 2019 in general. Patience with waiting for development is always hard, love bottles where you can just enjoy earlier on. without regret

It was great right out of the gate. I just let it warm up to cellar temp from fridge temp after opening and it was already showing very well.

I agree, #5 is almost always terrific right out of the gate!!

In your thread about which Rieslings to go back and collect, this was the Spätlese that I chose.

1 Like

Many thanks for reminding me to grab some of these, in which I go the last 3 bottles at MacArthurs. I’ll open one in the next week or so and report back on this thread. Great Note and discussion here.

Tom, the 2019 GD Kabinett is tight.

I have much more experience with Prum than Schaefer, but the 2001s were delicious on release too. In fact, they’ve almost always been superbly drinkable, which explains why I don’t have that many left.

1 Like

What does #5 vs #10 mean in these wines?

The AP number aka the specific bottling which usually means which barrel as they often bottle barrels individually.