TN: 2017 Château Le Pin, Pomerol

Not a bad way to close out such a bizarre year, one with so many ups and downs. Admittedly, it is a wine I would not have popped this evening had I owned it. But when a close friend brings it to NYE dinner, one must oblige, right? Could be one of the only Bordeaux that I have not had before, and definitely a bucket list wine. Granted, would have preferred it with 15 years of maturity.

In any event, this wine really was gorgeous even in its primary state. Unbelievably saturated purple color. Rich nose of plums, black truffles and licorice. Some exotic spices that I could not quite identify. I had always heard the palate on Le Pin is pure silk, but it’s more than that of course. It’s an interesting juxtaposition of density but lightness, layered but seamless, a full range of red to purple fruits, all wrapped up in the softest, most luxurious silk. Cannot imagine how good this wine will be in time. And yet it is quite approachable now for what it shows. Even the tannins were soft and sweet, just enough backbone and chewiness to let you know this wine can age.

(96+)

E3A05F6E-9A84-4790-9999-B0ECAE55D159.jpeg

3 Likes

If you are going to commit infanticide, that is how you do it. Wow!..also a bucket list wine for me, but like you said…too bad it wasn’t at least 15 years old. At the same time, what a great opportunity to taste a world class wine in it’s infancy…an opportunity few would allow themselves.

Sounds like you and Jeff Leve agree, right down to the TN! [cheers.gif]

Pomerol is our Venn Diagram wine region, I think. It’s got the hedonism he wants and the classicism that I want, melded in a way that works. Wish I could afford more of them!

VCC is a fave. I didn’t realize Thienpont founded and owns Le Pin.

Great note, Robert. Glad you were able to get the new year off to such an auspicious start.

Whatever it is that tastes like the '89 Gazin a friend poured for me last month, I likes me some of that.

Nice note. Given the mixed scores of 17, but Pomerol seems to have done well, I’m always keen to see how the 17 Le Pin does - its the first ever Le Pin I’ve bought. Plan to sit on it for at least a decade or two before I even think about what to do with it.

I like Gazin very much, and it remains affordable for a Pomerol. Have you tried other vintages?

I would love to. Above all I was struck by how youthful the wine showed. He served it blind to me and I could tell it was Gaullic and not Cabernet, but I would have never guessed the vintage. It had this delicious citrus-y side to it. Really lovely. I am aware it is affordable compared to a lot of wines from surrounding estates, but I don’t know by how much.

MAN…that mega purple! [wow.gif] Your note makes me think of my first Juge(15) for some reason.

Damn! The one Bordeaux biggie I have never tasted. Jealous.

Mic drop exit stage left…

Le Pin is in the top 5 wine experiences I’ve had. Pairs amazing with smoked crispy duck. Was lucky enough to have 2 bottles of the 04 a few years ago. Thanks for the note!

Great note, thank you! Now I really want some dang it!!!

Congrats and thanks for the awesome TN!

This is the last remaining Bordeaux on my bucket list, and it has been there- all by itself- for almost 20 years now. With 2019 prices so reasonable, I actually took the plunge on two bottles- figuring on tasting one at release and then holding the other. Nice to see a fellow AFWEr enjoying the wine because I really hope to enjoy the experience as well.